Water Line for Icemaker

Users who are viewing this thread

runner-guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have an icemaker on my fridge, but there is no water line hooked up to it. The fridge is far away from the sink with a doorway in between. Also, I live in an upper level condo, so I cannot go through a basement or crawlspace. Any advice on how to connect the line to the sink?

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
I had to run a flexible line under the floor between the floor joists from a sink connection to a hole in the floor behind the fridge. I used an electrical "snake" to pull a flexible icemaker line through the space. This sounds like your only option unless you can go up through the ceiling.

icemaker_box_pex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A couple of suggestions. First, wherever you tap into the water supply line, do not use a saddle valve. These will fail sooner or later. Use a ball valve and fittings to reduce it to tubing size. Second, use copper tubing. Plastic is another failure waiting to happen. How you get the tubing to the fridge is indeed a problem, but it's one that I think you'll have to figure out yourself because of the nature of your situation. You need to be sure of any restrictions on doing any plumbing or electrical work yourself in your condo. It may be something that will require a licensed plumber to do as well as approval by the condo association.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind, it doesn't have to come from the kitchen sink. Is there a bathroom nearby?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you post some pics showing the distance your various sinks and hot water tank are from the frig? If your hw tank or a sink is just on the other side of the wall from your frig, you can drill a hole in the wall for the connection.

runner-guy

Reaction score
The HWH and washer and dryer are in the next room, but not up against the same wall. The fridge is sort of all by itself in a corner of the kitchen.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
runner-guy said:
The HWH and washer and dryer are in the next room, but not up against the same wall. The fridge is sort of all by itself in a corner of the kitchen.

Ten to one, thats your best bet.
With the heater and washer there I'm guessing the appearance isn't of "living" space quality...you might run a copper line low, on top of the mop board near the floor, then pierce the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks