Water Heater Vacation Setting vs. Pilot

Users who are viewing this thread

go_hercules

Reaction score
I might have asked this before but don't remember for sure. If so, I certainly forgot the answer, so here goes. My Bradford White has only a pilot setting, no vacation setting. If I shut the water off to go out of town for a few days, do I just set it to pilot or shut it (and the gas) off completely? What is the actual difference in vacation setting for those heaters that have it? Thanks.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If you're gone a few days then set it as low as possible

If your comfortable with relighting the plot shut the gas as it is not a great idea to have a flame on a pressure vessel that may spring a leak while no one is home

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
There is another thought saying leave it alone as shutting off the flame can cause bacteria to use the tank as an incubator if the flame is off BUT in reality to kill bacteria the water temperature must be at an excessively high temperature .

The reason I do not like to leave a flame on when the water is off

A water heater has one safety device the T&P no low water cut off and the T&P is the last resort to protect the heater from exploding and many are installed and never tested

go_hercules

Reaction score
Good points. I think since relighting is simple, I will just shut it off along with shutting off the water. And does anyone know what "vacation" setting does versus "pilot" ??

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Years ago they had vacation setting which just allowed the pilot light to stay on. Basically it is the same thing placing on pilot

Normally setting it on pilot is just to relight it allowing you to push the button down to light the pilot

Reach4

Reaction score
On the temperature knob, if there is no "vacation" setting then pilot would be the same. But on many water heaters, "pilot" is a label on a different control. It is used for lighting the pilot -- not to keep it running. In the picture below, when you turn the top knob to the pilot setting, a cutout in the knob lets you hold down the button to provide gas for lighting the pilot.
MRR_OUW_HowToReigniteAWaterHeater_BlogPhoto_Jan20_20191219_v3.2001290651124.jpg

I presume from what you say that your WH control has "pilot" on the temperature control, and has some other marking for a position for lighting the pilot.

C317414

Reaction score
I've had bad experiences with turning the water heater off, or leaving it in vacation mode for an extended period.

My old heater developed a smell after being shut off for three months. I replaced the water heater for a different reason, and replaced the consumable anode in the new heater with an active anode, hoping the issue was related to the passive anode's material. I went away for three months. During that period the water was shut off and the water heater was in vacation mode. After returning, I noticed a slight smell in the water. It has not gone away in six weeks of regular use.

Reach4

Reaction score
After returning, I noticed a slight smell in the water. It has not gone away in six weeks of regular use.
Well water? If so, you may want to sanitize your well and plumbing including WH.

City water? A treatment with hydrogen peroxide or chlorine bleach may be worthwhile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks