Water Heater, Repair or replace and with what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kville

Reaction score
First time poster here. My water heater is 29 years old. It has never had any repairs nor servicing. It is an electric 40 gal Rheem. I think the lower heating element is out. We have hot water but it doesn't last long. No tank damage, no rust on the outside of tank. A couple friends said they would fix the element and drive on, a few said given the age, to go ahead and replace it. What do you guys think? If I replace, my local options are Rheem from Home Depot, AO Smith from Lowes, and American Water Heater brand from local plumbing supply store. Thanks for any replies and suggestions.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your doing the work yourself and don't mind it, I would fix it. Just know there's a possibility (strong possibility) you'll turn around and replace it anyway in a few months. Or cause more damage and a headache trying to fix it.

If your hiring a plumber definitely replace.

Kville

Reaction score
Thanks y'all for the responses. Out of the ones I mentioned, which would you lean toward?

Fitter30

Reaction score

Kville

Reaction score
That's out of my range for right now. Here are the three I am leaning toward.

American Water Heater

Rheem

AO Smith

40 gal should do it for family of 4 right? Thanks again.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
possible to extend life likely if your DIY but paying a qualified plumber might not pencil out. I work on so few electric tanks but they are very simple,, change element or both and t stats and possibly muck out heater with shop vac through the hole. might work.
KVILLE. you still living with cold water or which way did you go with rectifying issue?

Calvin R Rivera

Reaction score
In my opinion, it is better to buy a new one. Its repair cost will be very high. I am leaning towards the American Water heater and Rheem.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
better not cheaper 50 bucks for parts to repair labor is a factor , DIY no labor cost. another factor is the finances of the owner

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks