Washing Machine Drain Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Becky Hartigan

Reaction score
Hello, In the process of moving my washing machine to a new location. It’s been on the 2nd floor but thought it might be a good idea to install a drain pan underneath it. How should this drain pan be configured. I did find that it should not be connected to the main drain line and the trap would dry out and cause odor. So what is the correct way to do this? I read to drain right to the outside of house under window. I am wondering about cold coming in thru drain under washer. It does get pretty cold here in Maine. Thanks for your help.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never known a washing machine to develop a leak in such a manner that a drain pan
would be worthwhile. Ruptured supply hose, plugged discharge drain, defective water
level sensor, all result in massive flooding that makes a drain pan useless. Pan drain lines are
typically 3/4" or so diameter, so not much ingress of cold air there. And you have to have
some outside air coming in, just to breathe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks