Washer / Utility Sink Plumbing Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to plan out the plumbing I will put in for a new utility sink and washer. Here is the diagram,

I have an existing 1 1/2" or 2" floor drain about 10 inches away from a concrete wall. I plan to line up the washer, dryer, and utility sink against this concrete wall. There is no plumbing vent pipe nearby at all. The only vent I can find in the house is the main stack about 25 feet from this area of the house.

Above is my crude drawing. I'm going off this video. Is there there other pictures that would help?

Questions

How does this piping diagram look?

Shouldn't the AAV be higher than the utility sink in case of blockage / back up? In the video I linked, it's lower than the sink. How do I make that happen?

If there is any drawings that I could use as a guide for my situation, that would be great! I had a hard time finding one that fit my situation with a floor drain. Thanks for any advice!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your drawing technically violates the IPC, because it requires a 3" drain starting at the point where the standpipe drain meets the sink drain. The third sentence in 406.2. [Fixture drain means a drain serving only one fixture.]

https://up.codes/viewer/michigan/mi...4/fixtures-faucets-and-fixture-fittings#406.2

So if you want to comply with that, there's basically two options that don't require a 3" drain. You could just install the utility sink, and drain the clothes washer through it. Or, Michigan hasn't adopted the 2018 IPC yet per up.codes, but there is a new option that allows the laundry sink and the laundry standpipe to share a single trap on a 2" drain:

https://up.codes/viewer/michigan/mi...4/fixtures-faucets-and-fixture-fittings#406.2

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. If you want to raise the AAV, just add a pipe segment between the san-tee and the AAV. If the AAV is spigot end (outside diameter is the same as a pipe, goes directly into a fitting hub), just add a coupling; if the AAV has a hub, then you'd need a pipe segment anyway.

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for this! Currently, my washer drains directly into the utility sink. I could leave that as is and save the hassle of putting in a washer standpipe. Also, I think I have only have 1.5" pipes, which would also violate IPC, which requires 2" for the standpipe. I measured from the outside and it is about 2", so that must mean the inside diameter is 1.5".

With that information, I will remove the washer standpipe from my diagram. It's not worth it.

Do I still need a AAV for only a utility sink drain? Currently, there is no vent I can find anywhere near this part of the house, except the sump pump.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Schedule 40 1.5" plastic pipe will have an outer diameter (OD) of 1.9", and 2" plastic pipe will have an OD of 2-3/8".

Yes, every trap needs a vent to protect it from siphoning.

If you just need an AAV for one sink, then something like RectorSeal Magic Trap looks like a very easy way to install one. I haven't used it myself.

Cheers, Wayne

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm learning lots here. :) Yes, this will be a single sink far from the main stack.

My current utility sink has no vent and uses a S trap instead of a P trap. I wonder if that's why it drains slowly. Well, thanks for advice, I feel good on this now.

Zerocool749

Reaction score
One last question, I should place the AAV above the sink and not below the sink, correct?

https://up.codes/viewer/michigan/mi-plumbing-code-2015/chapter/9/vents#918.4

Based on this, I want to place the vent 6" above the rim of the sink. Something like this, correct?

index.php

Is that correct? Thanks!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you say "floor drain", do you mean drain pipe that goes into the floor, or a fixture with a grate and a trap? Because in the latter case, you have to remove the trap below the floor.

Cheers, Wayne

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Drain pipe that goes into the floor. Sorry for using the wrong terminology! Here is a picture. All of this is going to get remove and replaced. That PVC pipe isn't even cemented into the floor drain. I can literally pull it out.

vEVxIUjH-AAf_aUjCO4ki1BOfJNanTB24V0wdmi9mHrt9dbq-ITKbnY67o-ESibKmO1zK6cZI1wYx0m-Rt3evW1LUlCvMliiQfIb05nxjgDpyP29_tUn9fFZVsMiBSSGTt-DjwBuba5hUbyyheOI5cVdottSD17QNbGtuia_v8WpTX_zdaRfGVuIXKvZ0Sc8F-XmcOlVczI32_the3wvlb5kQTqsNC2MaSmMTooHKqRsI6ig1fGqz45yeaAl5nPDUd-3djnbH3Hs0Ofmuf1z2AGXYIiqBOx6dZJLNUsebpdvXyZ_Ug-atPOALyY1Or60oq226K4KzkxWyRWgW3oZ3R3OGABQ9N1EzJGr-WIGnKyR3cYkmWrjus07WBK-gX7OlYsuDbnpb7fPVMfciwSjOP8SHRl1yoQuo-s5GjV9tcVjs5ozQdse5iIkBN74G8mdO4CIZuaTfR8iY2c2QsSE1rmGr6OklX_vW3JMaT_fbJl--vHSQAgIX5mKfzdOPONX4k3Ogjh9Vr3TooEpKrZAkKC_l7BqPAYqC4GOnzhMl5kN6HdZ2Nslo6bwzJzlMNNkIuj0mcymie5jP-2NvAm10CVFavy6ZhbrDUIy8JOhw-RnEmN7DFvWQ-xtvj5p0_8pT_IsEBF_JEaiUbUic8Tq0iYPlYh2255rLUpDEmQXrROAkL5OvvCiaaX-zLkC=w1372-h1828-no

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Okay, I will check for a trap! I just have to look down that pipe and see if there is water pooling in a trap, correct? I will also pour some water, just to see if it sits in a trap.

Yeah, I don't know what it is, I was just going to cement that PVC pipe coming out.

zerocool749-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe you can determine the materials on the middle annular piece (rubber?), and on the outer ring (clay? cast iron? plastic?).

Cheers, Wayne

Zerocool749

Reaction score
Okay, there is no P trap. I believe both the inside and outside rings are made of PVC. As you can see, I can just pull that PVC pipe right out of the floor.

Here are two pictures to help,

mKaIOwHhMspIX820F3yInKCyz1a8gSzZBOuHktHhz4po3Y6t7_LTM6Yt6QE7mvwyRbI77Y9BjCtpWsMtF3RHNsvld8atPHF7-FkT3HIIAez6biR9DrMs1U2-1tb8X4kYf9cB91LLaRNrjV8P0inNsYmwdwOu4J9JYseIwHN_jgmkpJMhhJZ0Di_G1wS9FFYEoOeOjtLiZ9HEfWggP1rsYZFovdgl5bl9LNXgYL09fxj3U__3ei5QInnutliPReCUiTloE_xp7NpJ0JgEvFvc3e74prIcMCMaispAEND2uNofB9qEFxbkDnduU81QA0s_oq3gv2ewBTy69gYHtvC0TflFFbtwYgovh9Lh4Yv2pJM-mH-7eQsi6qZDTIz1OPizu8H9Xu6fwhWGAjMIXITIb4K-2hRMQDF8oXlt3U6Esjgx0NFT6tFZpNBNYQirj42cLuw-C4fUhWrw3IA-mLYE4on60lzCF4us2AN4onyQTd8irixN2NmEjGdaRB2wSoNEHzZU4zb8ik8QKzPE-hKsaRpOEvGffOUxz72NMc9Mhstv5iEPd21V9vHMCsLGi2qpQXgEk2T_z9IdlMxclNp4orK4bwzrbacz0QxW3Iy6duMFYoWCWJ18e79IqAAOHIavL5zVQmN8Xz7BCjQnxzD5cedadeAE4WrL0iUjQMPCoBvMdGCb5p3YQ6-3-JGe=w1286-h1714-no

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_173551169.jpg
    IMG_20201230_173551169.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 224

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume slab on grade? Then the outer ring is just a block out in the slab so the inner fitting isn't compressed by being embedded in shrinking concrete. And the inner ring is presumably a hub of a fitting. So if you clean it up well, you should be able to solvent cement in your new fittings.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks