Washer Drain Hose Frustrations

Users who are viewing this thread

Jtzavoli

Reaction score
I just purchased a house and a washer and dryer. The user manual notes that the drain hose must be a minimum of 39 inches from the base. The box with the standpipe is only about 34 inches high, and the drain hose is quite long (PLEASE SEE PICS)
20190705_232341.jpg 20190705_232328.jpg 20190705_232203.jpg 20190705_232349.jpg
What can I do to make things work? I am hopeful its nothing major. I already discovered that the builder never mounted the stove outlet to the wall .... just left it on the floor behind the stove. Thanks in advance for your help guys!

JerryR

Reaction score
Mine is 34” high also. I believe that’s the standard.

Just keep the top of the hose arc higher than 39” and inset no more than 8” of drain hose into the standpipe and wash away. You will be fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
The user manual notes that the drain hose must be a minimum of 39 inches from the base.
Could you post the precise wording for that?

I think there is a clip on the dryer side of the washer that could help you dress that drain hose to not stick up like that.

I am not a plumber.

Jtzavoli

Reaction score
Could you post the precise wording for that?

I think there is a clip on the dryer side of the washer that could help you dress that drain hose to not stick up like that.

I am not a plumber.

Here is the wording: "Check the height of your drain system and make sure the minimum height is met of 39 in. Make sure to measure the height from the ground where the washer is placed."

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Go to the 2:50 time mark. You should have a U shape gadget to hold the hose in place. You can loop the arc higher but the important part is the depth of the hose inside the drain pipe. Too deep and water can be siphoned from the wash tub during use. You should have a zip tie to tie it to one of the fill hoses to clamp it down preventing the drain hose from popping out. Drain hoses on all new machines are about the same, very stiff but they can be loop down before going up to the drain of just pushed to the side to fit behind the machine.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is the wording: "Check the height of your drain system and make sure the minimum height is met of 39 in. Make sure to measure the height from the ground where the washer is placed."
Thanks. I was hoping to Google the wording. I cannot find a match for "make sure the minimum height is met" or "Check the height of your drain system". I presume they have not scanned your manual.

WorthFlorida's interpretation that they want you to tie the hose into a high loop makes sense.

JerryR

Reaction score
As i stated, my pipe is 34” off the floor. Owned this house for 6 years. In that 6 years I’ve had several washers connected and never had an issue. I have a Fisher-Paykel, Whirlpool and Samsung washer and never a problem. The reason for multiple washers was I owned 4 houses and was moving washers around before selling homes.

My vacation home also has a 34” standpipe and came with a whirlpool that worked fine. I replaced it with a Samsung and it also works problem free.

Reach4

Reaction score
This sure looks like handier box placement for valve operation. The lower height would be dressier by hiding the drain and valves.
index.php

Last edited:

Jtzavoli

Reaction score
As i stated, my pipe is 34” off the floor. Owned this house for 6 years. In that 6 years I’ve had several washers connected and never had an issue. I have a Fisher-Paykel, Whirlpool and Samsung washer and never a problem. The reason for multiple washers was I owned 4 houses and was moving washers around before selling homes.

My vacation home also has a 34” standpipe and came with a whirlpool that worked fine. I replaced it with a Samsung and it also works problem free.
Do you have the drain hose arched at 39 inches or directly into the pipe at 34 inches? Thank you so much for your response!

JerryR

Reaction score
Do you have the drain hose arched at 39 inches or directly into the pipe at 34 inches? Thank you so much for your response!

Here’s a link to a GE site explaining issues with drain hoses. Basically toy want the high point of the hose above highest water level in tub. If not it will siphon. If your washer doesn’t drain when filling you are ok.

At primary home this is how it’s connected.

5YREI7al.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks