Wall Switch Off Power to light still on

Users who are viewing this thread

1s

Reaction score
I just changed an outlet (bottom plug was not working). The top plug worked with the wall switch on. After changing the outlet the wall switch doesn't control on/off power to the outlet anymore (I hooked up everything the same way). The new outlet I bought was the GE from Walmart (44 cent cheapo). Plug has power but is not controlled by wall switch anymore, did I do something wrong or purchase the wrong part, maybe wall switch is bad?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, first off, you get what you pay for...I'd not use those inexpensive outlets. But, you need to separate the hot inputs to the outlet. There's a little tab you can ben back and forth until it breaks. That will make each outlet separate, and your switch will be able to control one. Right now, regardless of where the switch is, because that tab is there, hot is connected to both outlets. If you have the old one, you should be able to see that tab was removed. Depending on how it was wired, you may or may not have to remove the neutral side's tab.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Heh heh. Rookie mistake.

You didn't break the tab on the outlet (hot side).

Look at it and THINK about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks