Wall hung toilet - Toto vs the rest

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi:

I am in need of installing a wall hung toilet, to accommodate for space in a powder room, but also because of constraints routing the drain (cannot go through the floor).
Since the flush mechanism would be in the wall and difficult to service (I understand though that part of the mechanism can be replaced through the wall plate), I'm looking for a trustee brand and model. I would hate to have to break the wall open (2x6 construction by the way) if a unit goes bad.

Toto has great reputation, they are not cheap though. What are other brands and models that can be trusted and that may be more reasonably priced?

The other thing with Toto seems to be that wall hung bowls require very specific seats, only made by Toto. For instance TOTO CT447CFG requires seat TOTO SS247 for which there's only one supplier that seems to make it available in Canada. What will happen 10 years from now if/when the seat breaks or cosmetically needs replacing?

Thanks,
JS

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The best frame/mechanism for wall systems is Geberit. My friend used to be a Toto rep. and he even recommended Geberit over Toto. You just have to use Geberit flush mechanism trim with their wall frames, but, you can use any Euro type two bolt bowl (Duravit, Toto, or any other similar).
For sure, 2 x 6 is the only units we'd touch. The 2 x 4" models are too small to service.
Geberit is a trusted and reliable specialty brand amongst plumbers.
Avoid weird "D" or special seat shapes on bowl selection and you should be fine on seats in the future.

Reaction score
The best frame/mechanism for wall systems is Geberit. My friend used to be a Toto rep. and he even recommended Geberit over Toto. You just have to use Geberit flush mechanism trim with their wall frames, but, you can use any Euro type two bolt bowl (Duravit, Toto, or any other similar).
For sure, 2 x 6 is the only units we'd touch. The 2 x 4" models are too small to service.
Geberit is a trusted and reliable specialty brand amongst plumbers.
Avoid weird "D" or special seat shapes on bowl selection and you should be fine on seats in the future.

Thank you for the reply, this is appreciated.

It looks like we will go with Geberit Duofix 1.28/0.8GPF, with a Toto CT426CFG bowl (seems to be the only unit I can get that does not require a custom seat).

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I, personally, am not the biggest fan of hidden bolts. From a consumer side, yes, so pretty w/o hardware but reaching under to tighten bolts is pretty unfriendly methodology.
Better for me, Toto CT428fg
And: watch out re the baseboard profile, if you plan baseboard. Also, plan for water stub if you might ever want a bidet seat.

1642985341818.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only word of caution between mixing and matching is that some toilet bowls are shorter than others. We just had to replace 2 bowls for a customer because they only rested against the tile and sheetrock because the carrier they used didn't have cross members behind where the outline of the bowl rests against the wall.

I also do like the built in bidet tube of the Toto carrier but that can be plumbed into any carrier.

That said, Geberit does test and list a WHOLE LOT of toilets for their carriers and we've installed a million times more Geberit than any other brand.

Reaction score
The only word of caution between mixing and matching is that some toilet bowls are shorter than others. We just had to replace 2 bowls for a customer because they only rested against the tile and sheetrock because the carrier they used didn't have cross members behind where the outline of the bowl rests against the wall.

I also do like the built in bidet tube of the Toto carrier but that can be plumbed into any carrier.

That said, Geberit does test and list a WHOLE LOT of toilets for their carriers and we've installed a million times more Geberit than any other brand.
Thank you for the message. I was worried about mixing and matching. The Toto bowl we're going with is listed as one recommended by Geberit. Everything is in transit (flush system, bowl) and I guess we'll see next week how everything fits together, when everything is delivered.

Thanks for your help.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
One thing that is frequently overlooked that we get called out to fix, is that the rough frame needs to be flush with the rough framing... more that the finished wall substrate wants to make contact with that frame. Any gap in that substrate will get compressed by the weight of the leverage of the toilet hanging on the bolts applied to the bottom base of the toilet. And that is why its important to ensure that the bottom base of the toilet has some portion of the rough frame to rest against.

We made all sort of mistakes with these contraptions when they were new. And some installers who still have never seen one make those mistakes. We're working with a homeowner now who had a contractor with all his own subcontractors and the plumber said he wouldn't work on a wall hung because he'd never installed one.. rather than figure it out.

IamDiamond

Reaction score
Thank you for the message. I was worried about mixing and matching. The Toto bowl we're going with is listed as one recommended by Geberit. Everything is in transit (flush system, bowl) and I guess we'll see next week how everything fits together, when everything is delivered.

Thanks for your help.
Hello! I am in a similar situation, how did the install go? Would you recommend the combo?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks