Walk in shower conundrum...diverter or 2 thermostatic valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

skip brewer

Reaction score
I am a lifelong carpenter/remodeler and Ive finally decided to tackle my master bathroom. I have framed a walk in zero threshold hold shower with a solid glass splash wall. My intention is to have a thermostatic control near the right hand entrance with shower head on left wall. I will also have a handshower hanging on left wall. My question is, btw this is my first large shower, would it make more sense to try and use a diverter in between the shower head and handshower or install another thermostatic valve just for the handshower keeping them separate. I understand there will be some lag in water temp with location of thermostatic valve where im placing it. The extension wall will serve dual purpose...protecting pipes from outside wall and providing a ledge. I am installing Kohler Purist and already have the kit, Im just hesitant to use the diverter because it seems more efficient to use an entirely separate valve. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 181

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Either way will work. Compare the cost of the diverter to a second thermostatic valve, and the diverter will likely be less. Also, once you've got the temperature where you want it, switching should keep it the same on the other outlet unless that line runs long enough where it could cool off (not likely in the short distance). One issue with a shower only is that the entire line normally cannot drain, so when you first turn things on, there's a slug of room temperature water (or worse, depending on how close to the outside it is). In a typical tub/shower, the water drains out of the riser when done. That doesn't happen on a shower only, at least in the vertical part.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks