Venting utility sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Tjoumas

Reaction score
Hello,

When I bought my house, I had the builder rough in the plumbing for a sink and wash machine. I have had the wash machine hooked up for some time and just added the utility sink. I sort of assumed it was roughed in by the plumber so it’s vented properly, but I’m now not so sure. This picture hopefully shows clearly what I have. Is my sink vented properly or do I need to add a sanitary T to the drain line of my sink (between the trap and the drain) and tie a 2” pipe from there to 6” above the top of the sink to the existing vertical (vent) pipe?

Thanks!

Chris

Attachments

• 37A21ED4-D0B2-4FCD-828D-0A6E6CA5868D.jpeg
    37A21ED4-D0B2-4FCD-828D-0A6E6CA5868D.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 138

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,

When I bought my house, I had the builder rough in the plumbing for a sink and wash machine. I have had the wash machine hooked up for some time and just added the utility sink. I sort of assumed it was roughed in by the plumber so it’s vented properly, but I’m now not so sure. This picture hopefully shows clearly what I have. Is my sink vented properly or do I need to add a sanitary T to the drain line of my sink (between the trap and the drain) and tie a 2” pipe from there to 6” above the top of the sink to the existing vertical (vent) pipe?

Thanks!

Chris

You have a vent going straight up that is venting both the utility sink and the clothes washer. It was legal when it was installed. The code changed, requiring that the waste pipe for the clothes washer be 3" pipe (not 2"). A high capacity clothes washer will discharge enough water that it will cut off its own vent. Are you having problems with the sink not draining properly? You clearly have a vent already. Can you tell us what's happening that makes you think it is not roughed-in properly.

-mike
https://homeservicestriad.com/

washer_rough_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Tjoumas

Reaction score
You have a vent going straight up that is venting both the utility sink and the clothes washer. It was legal when it was installed. The code changed, requiring that the waste pipe for the clothes washer be 3" pipe (not 2"). A high capacity clothes washer will discharge enough water that it will cut off its own vent. Are you having problems with the sink not draining properly? You clearly have a vent already. Can you tell us what's happening that makes you think it is not roughed-in properly.

-mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. There isn’t any issue; I had posted a question about something similar a couple of years ago (adding a utility sink to my garage) and I was told that I couldn’t tie directly into the drain of the bathroom sink on the other side of the wall and would have to tie into the drain past the last fixture (after that sink, then the toilet, then the shower) and then tie the vent of that sink to the vent the bathroom sink was using (6” above flood level). I haven’t done that project yet, but wanted to ask about this utility sink in my basement to be sure I’m doing it correctly and not possibly having any sewer gases coming up :)

Hopefully that makes sense - but just want to be sure I have this utility sink (in my picture vented properly). Sounds like I’m good, so thanks again!

Chris

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks