Venting using a horizontal drain from kitchen sink OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brent08

Reaction score
I want to add in a new basement kitchen sink and also a new shower to an existing 1/2 bath. The new lines are in yellow. The question I have is it OK to vent the Shower this way? Thanks

IMG_1533.JPG

lma1

Reaction score
I am not sure you can, according to the 2010NPCC or the 2012 BCPC. The vent for the new shower (SH) should be connected between the SH trap & that 4' long 3" drain, & not where you show it. Your 1-1/2" vent for the new KS can't act as a wet vent (WV) for the new SH as it's downstream of the WC.
You may move the connection of the new KS & SH upstream of the WC & then wet vent the SH thru the new KS. Ensure you don't reduce the size of any portion of the WV if you do this.
Or you can separately vent the new SH as an individual vent (IV) except not where you show it. Consult your code rule as to how far or how close you are allowed to place the vent from the trap.
Hope this help.;)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The shower vent connection needs to be in the shower's trap arm. You can only wet vent a bath group through a bath fixture vent in the USA.

Brent08

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and your time. Guess I was hoping this fell under NPSC 12.17 . Looks as I will still make the connection down stream of water closet due to space. Will run separate drains and vents from the kitchen sink and shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Just putting a pipe somewhere in the line does NOT make it a "vent for the shower". It has to be between the shower trap and its connection to the drain system. Changing that section of the drain to 3" is a "DETRIMENT", not and improvement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks