Venting Questions for the Pros

Users who are viewing this thread

Numerick

Reaction score
Need advice for a venting issue. I would like to put the P -trap for my kitchen sink approximately 36"-48" below the sink bowl. Can it be a straight shot down at that distance? I am trying to avoid an AAV valve or Island Kitchen venting option. There is a 2" vent pipe through the roof that I have access to but need to get at it from the crawlspace area. My question is what will the basics of plumbing allow me for distance from the bottom of the sink to the P-trap?

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure about America, but the max length of fixture outlet pipe (drain from sink to top of p-trap) is 48". The Canadian code permits a trap for a kitchen sink to be placed below the floor providing there is a clean out above. Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 11.25.43 PM.jpg

Numerick

Reaction score
Thanks Sean Beck, the information you provided was very helpful. Thanks Cacher chick for the heads up on code, guess I will need to give a second look at the Island vent option.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A trap under the floor would be subject to the water's inertial and would probably drain itself everytime water was used. The second drawing is not correct for many areas because it should have a vent in the wall connected to the vent in the 'yoke'.

Numerick

Reaction score
Thanks HJ, I was hoping you would add your insight. Would you mind looking at the stack configuration below and offer any advise as to the the layout of the drainage set? I put the Toilet on top in case of backup or stoppage, the other drains would be able to still function. 2" dry vent through roof from top of stack.

Stack layout.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks