Venting outside an exterior wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Cory Simonson

Reaction score
I'm not a pro plumber, but I've come to respect your trade immensely as I've remodeled my 100 yr old home over the years. My current project involves turning a room that is not a bathroom into a bathroom. I've got ample attic space above the proposed bathroom, but finding a clear route up to attic to vent my toilet and shower is a bit of a struggle. There are some barriers to getting the vents up the inside of the wall to the attic so I'm wondering if it is frowned upon or a code violation to run vents outside the exterior wall up through the soffit and into the attic. Although somewhat unsightly, it would certainly make this way easier. Running vent pipe outside exterior walls seems like common practice in some of the old houses I've looked at around town and elsewhere. But just because it's common doesn't mean it's good. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks