Venting In Vaulted Celing

Users who are viewing this thread

sugoii

Reaction score
I have a kitchen sink on the front of the house that I vented along the slope of the vaulted ceiling and then back down the other side where it ties to another drain and the vent on the back side of the house. The vwent will fully drain on both sides of the house, so as far as functionality there is no question that it will work. My inspector will pass it if I can give him code refrences that allow such venting. I have no idea where to start, and at this point don't have access to the code. Is there an allowance for venting this way in the international plumbing code?

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
While the IPC doesn't address running a vent in a vaulted ceiling specifically, it does state the following in Chapter 9 Section 905.2:

Grade - All vent and branch vent pipes shall be so graded and connected as to drain back to the drainage pipe by gravity.

With the new vent being connected to the vent on the backside of the house and therefore to a drain on both sides of the house, your vent does drain by gravity to a drainage pipe. I have seen it done this way and pass here in Cincinnati. The only thing the inspector MIGHT argue is the word "the" in "drain back to THE drainage pipe by gravity" rather than the word "a".

Good luck!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

As long as the inspector is being reasonable about it, which the ones in this area would not be, reference him to the "yoke" vent for an island sink drain, which is exactly the same thing except on a condensed scale.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
i don,t understand why your doing this

why not have 2 roof vents ,one on each side. island vents don,t have that option

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
thank,s H J

i kinda guessed that was the reason. Your inspectors can,t be as bad as S. F.

don,t get me started !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks