Vent size for kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

NC remodels

Reaction score
Greetings,
This is probably very simple but just want to confirm if I can use an 1-1/4" dry vent for a kitchen sink that will have a dishwasher and disposal. The trap is 1-1/2" and the drain is 2". The vent will go through the roof and is about a 20' run. There was an existing 1-1/4" galvanized that I am replacing (100 year old house) and would rather go back with the same size rather than drilling larger holes through the studs.

Many thanks-

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sounds like a weired code so a 2 inch drain line needs only a 1 inch vent? An 1 1/4 should vent ok but im not quoting your code mine requires 1 1/2" .

NC remodels

Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff, it's 1/2 the diameter of the drain with a min of 1-1/4" is how the code reads.
got it 1 1/4" minimum! I would certainly use that minimum if I could especialy when structural conditions apply , king studs and such

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. It's actually 25' of developed length. Would you do 1-1/2" or stick with 1-1/4"?
If it was easy to enlarge holes and didn't cause any structural concerns, I'd go with 1-1/2". If it was problematic, I'd go with 1-1/4". For the roof penetration, I like to use a short section of copper, and 1-1/2" copper DWV should fit through the same roof boot as 1-1/4" Schedule 40.

Cheers, Wayne

NC remodels

Reaction score
If it was easy to enlarge holes and didn't cause any structural concerns, I'd go with 1-1/2". If it was problematic, I'd go with 1-1/4". For the roof penetration, I like to use a short section of copper, and 1-1/2" copper DWV should fit through the same roof boot as 1-1/4" Schedule 40.

Cheers, Wayne
There are actually notches in the studs from the existing galvanized which are not allowed so I have doubled up the studs and plan to use 4" stud shoes for structural suppor (passing through more than 2 studs). The new 1-3/4" hole for a 1-1/4" vent or new 2-1/8" hole for the 1-1/2" vent will also be going through the window king stud which my structural engineer said I would need to add a 16 gauge Simpson plate at the new hole and at the existing notch at the 4x4 king stud. Love the idea of using copper at the roof! I still feel uneasy about the new hole and existing notch at the king stud. Another thought is to ditch the whole vent and add an AAV. Not a huge fan of those, especially since I've gone through the trouble of exposing the wall and cutting out the old galvanized.

NC remodels

Reaction score
got it 1 1/4" minimum! I would certainly use that minimum if I could especialy when structural conditions apply , king studs and such
That's what I'm thinking. I thought the min would be the best although concerned about performance of the drain with a 1-1/4" vent. Perhaps a 20 DFU AAV is a better solution???

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
id rather have a real vent andwouldnt hesitate at using the 1 1/4 just unusual to have any pipe that size in a house . but youll never have a problem with it. copper 1 1/2 would fit as wayne said bigger is better but frankly I dont think it will perform any better and would concentrate on other issues , interesting topic But I think your good whichever choice you make , I would care more about the structure

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you have to route through load bearing studs, definitely go with 1-1/4" for the vent. If there was a particularly tricky part where 1-1/4" copper would fit easier, I'd even do that for some or all of the run.

Cheers, Wayne

NC remodels

Reaction score
Since you have to route through load bearing studs, definitely go with 1-1/4" for the vent. If there was a particularly tricky part where 1-1/4" copper would fit easier, I'd even do that for some or all of the run.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you all for the guidance. Plumbing today with the 1-1/4"