Vent location, metal roof

Users who are viewing this thread

BadgerBall20

Reaction score
Hi all,
Working on finishing up a new metal roof and trying to determine main vent location. Previously the vent exited about 2/3rds of the way up the roof. Is there anything preventing me from moving this further towards the peak?

My thought is to exit directly below ridge cap as the top edge of the pipe boot could then be under the ridge cap and somewhat shielded. It would also decrease potential snow mass on the pipe. Is this considered too close to an opening due to vented ridge?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mike Rock

Reaction score
Hi all,
Working on finishing up a new metal roof and trying to determine main vent location. Previously the vent exited about 2/3rds of the way up the roof. Is there anything preventing me from moving this further towards the peak?

My thought is to exit directly below ridge cap as the top edge of the pipe boot could then be under the ridge cap and somewhat shielded. It would also decrease potential snow mass on the pipe. Is this considered too close to an opening due to vented ridge?

Thanks!
I dont know too much about the spacing guidlines, but that seems like a great idea. This is a pic roof vent, but I assume you can do the same with a DWV vent.

I dont know how else you can put a vent on a metal roof without having a risk of it leaking. Its not like a conventional roof where you can have the flashing under the shingles.

OIP.3aSuIccQK9hCF-7usKL9MQHaE8

BadgerBall20

Reaction score
I dont know too much about the spacing guidlines, but that seems like a great idea. This is a pic roof vent, but I assume you can do the same with a DWV vent.

I dont know how else you can put a vent on a metal roof without having a risk of it leaking. Its not like a conventional roof where you can have the flashing under the shingles.

OIP.3aSuIccQK9hCF-7usKL9MQHaE8
Thanks for the feedback, was thinking the same thing as what your picture shows from a flashing standpoint!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks