Varying Pressure after Water Softener Install

Users who are viewing this thread

thevictors51

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently installed a brand new waster softener (Fleck 5600 SXT 64k grain) and is currently in bypass. The bypass is the plastic one that came with the unit

I am on a well with 3/4 inch service lines.

I just installed it today and at first the pressure seemed fine. Then I went to sanitize my well with a kit from menards and now the pressure in my whole house is low.

The kit from menards has grains and little pills your drop down the well.

My bladder pressure tank seems to be working okay (is takes about 7 mins to go from 42psi to 30 psi).

My well pump turns on at 30 psi and turns off at 55psi.

I am at a loss for what's causing my pressure loss.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does your pressure problem still occur when the softener is in bypass? I presume so for the comments that follow.

Do you have a cartridge filter? Could be clogged. Is the valve between the softener and the pressure tank fully open?

Normally you set the pressure switch to a 20 psi differential. The air precharge, since you use a submersible pump, should be set to 2 psi below your cut-in (28 with a 30 psi cut-in). If that is off, that could cause some pressure hiccoughs.

If you run a hose from the drain on your pressure tank, what flow do you get? You can measure that by playing the water into a 5 gallon bucket, and timing, in seconds, how long it takes to fill the bucket.

Maybe when doing that, you will see a lot of crud coming out of the hose.

My sanitizing procedure is more complex.

thevictors51

Reaction score
Thabks for the replay reach

I have a sediment filter after my bladder tank. However that was replaced three weeks agai so that shouldn't have clogged up that quick right?

The odd thing is that the spicket in front of my house that is post bladder tank but pre sediment filter seems to have good flow.

I'll take a look at the water coming out of the bladder tank spicket tomorrow.

As for flow rate. Maybe I should do three checks.

One at the bladder tank, one at the spicket in front of my house and another on a faucet after the softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a sediment filter after my bladder tank. However that was replaced three weeks agai so that shouldn't have clogged up that quick right?
Not really. Your sanitizing may have caused some beasties to let loose and come up to clog your filter early. So that being clogged would explain your symptoms, right?

Part of the thing with the pressure tank is that you should flush it out sometime. Run the hose from the pressure tank drain. Turn off the pump. Let the tank empty. Turn on the pump... repeat a few times.

One at the bladder tank, one at the spicket in front of my house and another on a faucet after the softener.

Sounds reasonable. But I really think your filter cartridge is the prime suspect.

I could not find a sanitizing kit on Menards site. https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?sf_categoryHierarchy=&search=well+sanitizing

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is the method I use. Overkill, but that is my objective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks