Vant shower drain pumped up into vent stack

Users who are viewing this thread

george sandoval

Reaction score
Hi - what would be the best way to connect into the vent stack without using a T connector. I'm using a Saniflo pump to get the water up. Just shower water - nothing heavy duty. This is a garage concrete floor.

Thanks!

george sandoval

Reaction score
Hey Sylvan, I

Thanks for your reply. I like your economy with words. I'm a rank beginner here. 2 questions.

Is this "boss connector" not legal?

boss-connector.jpg

If I did go with a "Ys" like the 2 existing ones, how would you even do that with weight of the top of the stack bearing down?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The right thing to do is cut out a section of pipe and install a tee or wye, but because the sink and washer are being vented by the stack, you would be required to re-vent those fixtures.
If there is drainage coming down that stack from floors above, it already fails to meed the minimum requirements of the plumbing code and will be flagged by any decent inspector.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Wet venting on the stack with fixtures on floor(s) above is an absolute no. The vent connection must be made not less than 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served, or a seperate vent can be used.

If it were a dry vent going through the roof, the discharge connection to the stack would need to be lower than that of the vent connection, and no other fixtures would be permitted to use the stack as a vent below that point.

george sandoval

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply!

My logic is that there are already 2 original fixtures (sink and washer) draining/venting into the wet vent that work fine.
Venting and draining some additional gray water that would be generated by a single person in a room rental situation
would add minimal strain on the existing system.

Are there any big hassles if I decided to have a separate dry vent going to roof? One more thing - the Saniflo vent knock-out is for 1 - 1/2 inch. Do I need to up it to 2"?

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need to start thinking like a building/plumbing inspector.
The existing fixtures that are connected in the basement are not permitted without installing a proper vent. The plumbing that you plan to add requires a proper vent.
If the saniflow specs call for a 1-1/2" vent, that is fine, but if you are keeping the other fixtures, install a new 2" vent which will be adequate for all of those fixtures combined.

george sandoval

Reaction score
Thanks.

I noticed that there is a "gift" option in the plumbers forums. Is there an option for that here for help
that goes above and beyond for a specific problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks