Utica - Shower water turning lukewarm after 5 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Carol Lee

Reaction score
Hi

So my tenants noticed recently that the hot water in their shower will turn ice cold after about 5-7 minutes and not really get hot again. After testing a bit I noticed the shower water would stay nice and hot for as long as we needed if the sink was also turned hot while the shower was on. I chalked it up to a minimum flow requirement issue. So we checked the filter on the cold water intake and it was indeed pretty dirty. So we cleaned it, put it back, and did a quick descaling.

Now, the water no longer turns cold, but it noticeably drops in temp (lukewarm ish) after the same amount of time in the shower. So the situation has improved but obviously hasn't been completely fixed. All the fixtures with single handles are experiencing this (I know it's not ideal to match those with tankless) but it's a new issue that started after about 8 months with no issues.

Is there anything else I can clean/replace that will fix this? Or am I missing something else completely.

Model is Utica ccb-150

https://uticaboilers.com/sites/default/files/3510.pdf

Last edited:

SoCal Plumber

Reaction score
Hi

So my tenants noticed recently that the hot water in their shower will turn ice cold after about 5-7 minutes and not really get hot again. After testing a bit I noticed the shower water would stay nice and hot for as long as we needed if the sink was also turned hot while the shower was on. I chalked it up to a minimum flow requirement issue. So we checked the filter on the cold water intake and it was indeed pretty dirty. So we cleaned it, put it back, and did a quick descaling.

Now, the water no longer turns cold, but it noticeably drops in temp (lukewarm ish) after the same amount of time in the shower. So the situation has improved but obviously hasn't been completely fixed. All the fixtures with single handles are experiencing this (I know it's not ideal to match those with tankless) but it's a new issue that started after about 8 months with no issues.

Is there anything else I can clean/replace that will fix this? Or am I missing something else completely.

Model is Utica ccb-150

https://uticaboilers.com/sites/default/files/3510.pdf

Isolate the hydronic lines and see if the issue is still occurring. If not, the check valve in the recirculating pump has failed causing a cross over in the plumbing. That’s a place to start, but it sounds like a cross over issue so any failed check valve could be causing the issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks