Upward section of pipe under house coming from kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

zjustice

Reaction score
Our kitchen sink was backing up and my attempts to snake it didn't work. I had a plumber come out and snake it with two different snakes to no avail. Unfortunately we don't have a cleanout on the kitchen side, so they had to install one and then hydrojet the line. A lot of sludge came out during the process and fortunately the line was cleared. However, the plumber told me that while his guy was underneath the house installing the cleanout, he noticed a section of the pipe that goes upward. I haven't been under the house yet to verify this, but can anyone tell me if this is a big deal or not? What issues could arise from this situation and is there anything I need to do to prevent issues in the future? Any advice would be much appreciated.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes, it can cause problematic draining. Is this section under the home, in a crawl space or past the foundation? What type of pipe material is it? If it is a crawl space, place a level on it to verify if it is pitched or not.

If the drain line is not pitched correctly solids will lay in the pipe behind the highest point. Your current clog may have been caused by it and there may be another rise further down the pipe. Either the pipe settles, roots push it up or ground movement.

You can go on for years without any issues or in a few months you're back to a clogged line.

zjustice

Reaction score
Yes, it can cause problematic draining. Is this section under the home, in a crawl space or past the foundation? What type of pipe material is it? If it is a crawl space, place a level on it to verify if it is pitched or not.

If the drain line is not pitched correctly solids will lay in the pipe behind the highest point. Your current clog may have been caused by it and there may be another rise further down the pipe. Either the pipe settles, roots push it up or ground movement.

You can go on for years without any issues or in a few months you're back to a clogged line.
The section of pipe is in the crawl space according to the plumber that came out. Is there anything I can do to prevent solids from building up there other than fixing the pitched section of pipe?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Water only flows down hill.
The section with the bad slope could have been like that for years. Depending on the pipe type and if it is suspended or laying on the ground it can be an easy fix. Put a level on it to be sure. Sometimes a pipe might look to be off because of what your eye sees in the background.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks