Unvented Basement Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Rodaimi

Reaction score
So I recently found out my basement bathroom is unvented. It was illegally built by the previous owner and he somehow got it past inspection. My toilet, sink and shower drain slowly and the toilet regularly backs up into my shower. I installed an Air admittance valve on the sink hoping to solve the problem to no avail. Aside from installing a vent to my roof, is there a workaround or some other solution to get my sewer line to drain properly? Thanks in advance and any feedback is appreciated.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Vents or lack of vents do not cause slow draining or back-ups into adjacent fixtures. If there really are no vents, it would not be surprising if the drain piping was done wrong too.

My suggesting is to get the lines cleared and then have a plumber run a camera down the drains to see what the situation is with the plumbing.

Rodaimi

Reaction score
I have had a plumber snake my drain in the past and everything would be fine for a while but after a few uses, my toilet would not flush fully. The plumber did confirm that my bathroom is unvented and recommend I install a vent to my roof. I am hoping there is an alternative solution

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have had a plumber snake my drain in the past and everything would be fine for a while but after a few uses, my toilet would not flush fully. The plumber did confirm that my bathroom is unvented and recommend I install a vent to my roof. I am hoping there is an alternative solution

You could have pipe fittings installed wrong or lack of proper slope. A camera inspection might show these issues without having to jackhammer the floor to find out what the problem is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks