Unusual Problem with Well Water

Users who are viewing this thread

ae3799t

Reaction score
Not exactly a novice, but this problem has me stumped, Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

No water. Replaced Pump Pressure Switch and pump started working and we got water. Then water stopped. Noticed no pressure in system. Lifted the handle on the pump Pressure switch and pumped kicked on. Water works, then stopped again. This keeps happening.

Test:
After turning on Pressure switch, the pressure builds to 50 PSI. Turned on water and watched pressure drop to 30 PSI, then pump turned on. Turned water off and pressure built to 50 PSI again. Turned water on and again watched pressure drop to 30 PSI and pump turned on.

I do not think it is the pressure switch, unfortunately. It must be the pump or the well. Any thoughts? Thanks

One incident worth noting. On one occasion, when I lifted the Switch handle the pump came on, pressure jumped over 30 PSI on the way up and then cut out for a moment before turning back on and going to 50 PSI.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Test:
After turning on Pressure switch, the pressure builds to 50 PSI. Turned on water and watched pressure drop to 30 PSI, then pump turned on.
Try turning off the valve that feeds the house. If the pressure drops to 30 then, there is some kind of leak before the valve.
Turned water off and pressure built to 50 PSI again. Turned water on and again watched pressure drop to 30 PSI and pump turned on.
Or maybe operating that valve is what you are calling turning the water on/off.

Where is your pump? Down the well, on the well, or in a building?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably have a bad tank, or too much air pressure in the tank. That would cause the pressure to dip to zero just before the pump comes on.
You presumed that the pressure dropped from 50 to 30 because water was being used. I had presumed it dropped even if somebody was not using water, so there was a leak somewhere.

ae3799t

Reaction score
Very sorry for not being clear, guys. I was opening a spigot to simulate water usage, so I could test the Pressure Switch. Each time I tested, it appeared to be working just fine (like it was supposed to).

Although I did not verify it, but I assumed that the low pressure was not triggering the Pressure Switch to turn the pump back on. That is why I had it replaced. The new switch did not change anything.

When the water stops in the house, I just lift that side handle on the pressure switch and pressure immediately jumps to over 30, then builds to 50 and we have water again for a day or so.

In other words, it works the way it was meant to, except for some reason, does not turn on the pump at low pressure setting of 30 PSI, unless I am standing there watching while testing and then turns on just fine. I tested several times. It does not make sense unless their is some hick-up that tends to happen intermittently, that causes the pressure switch to not turn on.

Could it be blockage in the pressure line that goes to the pressure switch? If that somehow gets blocked, it might trick the pressure switch to think there is pressure when there isn't. Doesn't seem like a likely occurrence though.

Pump is on ground in pump house.

Valveman; I will try and test the tank. If it dropping to zero would cause the pressure switch to not turn the pump on (some type of pump protection thing), that may very well be the issue. Thanks

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You said you have a lever on your pressure switch. That means it has a low pressure cutout. The points close at 30 psi and turns the pump on. If the pressure drops to 20 psi before the pump can add pressure, The points on the pressure switch open as a safety. The pump will not start again till you reset the low pressure cutout lever.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reduce the air precharge. Typical would be to have the air precharge 2 psi below the cut-in if you have a submersible pump. Otherwise 4 or 5 psi... or whatever it takes.

Precharge is set and measured while the water pressure is zero. If you measure the air pressure while the pressure is higher than the precharge, the pressure will be very close to the water pressure. You can do that to compare calibration of your air and water pressure gauges.

Most people use a pressure switch that does not have a low-pressure cutoff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks