Unneeded natural gas stub

Users who are viewing this thread

DallasDIY

Reaction score
We are getting a new electric double oven for our kitchen. I removed the old electric single oven and microwave plus the cabinet that held them. A new, wider cabinet is being installed early next week.

After ripping out the old cabinet, I discovered there is a natural gas stub with a screw-on cap sticking out of the wall a few inches. While this didn't really impact the old oven and open-back cabinet, it will definitely impact the new cabinet (closed back) and possibly even the new oven if I were to drill a hole for the stub in the new cabinet.

Since I really don't need this stub or feed at this time, what would be a recommended approach for cutting this back or removing it? I assume there is likely a 90-degree threaded elbow in the wall but I would need to open up the drywall to find out. If that's the case, would it be okay to cap that within the wall or is that akin to capping off unused electrical wiring in a closed, non-accessible location?

Is this a DIY type project or do I need to call a plumber or other pro?

Attachments

• Gas 1.jpg
    Gas 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,815
  • Gas 2.jpg
    Gas 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4,546

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have access from below? I'd find that leg and cap it off down below. One of the pros will know the code, but I don't think capping it in the wall is a good idea.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It can be capped in the wall but it would be better if it could be removed and capped below. Whether or not you can do it depends to a large degree on you collection of tools and your abilities but in any case the line will have to be leak tested after the alteration.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It protrudes so little that I doubt it would get in the way if left there. Have you actually checked for clearance?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Is this a DIY type project or do I need to call a plumber or other pro?
I am a DIYer, but if you need to ask, you should probably call a pro unless you are quite comfortable and confident with turning off your gas meter to do the work and then turning it back on and checking for any leak without blowing the place up.

Can you pull on that nipple and cap and move the pipe, or is it hard-fastened to a stud?

If that were mine, I would likely replace the existing nipple and cap with a new close nipple and cap that would then likely be about flush with the wall and still leave that pipe available for any future use.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would remove the stub and screw a plug into the elbow in the wall, then put the cabinet in place to cover the hole. Steel pipes do NOT deteriorate unless they have "fresh" water in them.

DallasDIY

Reaction score
I am quite comfortable and capable with just about any DIY project and have done plenty of carpentry, plumbing and electrical through the years. This is just the first house with natural gas we've owned so just being cautious.

I cut out some drywall around the stub and there is an elbow directly behind it. We are on a slab so no access below but the feed pipe actually comes through the studs to the right where the cooktop is. Looks like a plug will be a good idea and I can track down the how-to for that. I expect pipe thread tape or sealer will go on the plug threads with a leak test afterward.

Thanks for the info, gents.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I prefer the Oatey Pipe Dope. Some like Teflon tape, so use both dope and tape. Dishwasher soap works well to test for gas leaks. Every homeowner should know how to turn his gas off/on and have a tool to do it. I use a 10" adjustable wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks