Unlevel Bathroom Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

gilly6868

Reaction score
Just wondering what anyones thought on this subject might be. I have a house built in 1938 and like most older homes it is unlevel. I recently installed tile but did not level the floor because i would have had to raise one end up 3-4 inches. My old toilet was seperate, the tank attached to the wall and the bowl to the floor with a pipe connecting them. Now with a new toilet it is obvioous it is sloped because the tank slowly moves away from th ewall at an angle. When i try to level the toilet it need the front raised up over an inch. Any good advice out there? Is it safe to grind some ot the porcelian off the toilet in the back?

thanks
gilly

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know what I would have done, but that doesn't help you too much at this point. I would have ripped the floor out to the joists, sistered new joist that were level, and put down a new subfloor. That's a major remodel, but sometimes it's the only way to come out right. My kitchen had a similar problem a few years back and that's what I did. I think it is safe to say that grinding the toilet to fit is NOT the way to go. Some of the experienced pro plumbers may have some thoughts, but since we are going into a week-end you may not get too much response from them. I think at least some of them monitor the board while in their shop.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to try building up under the toilet with pieces of variable thickness to level the toilet. Try small pieces of workable stone like marble or slate, or plastic such as acrylic or polycarbonate, contoured to give you the profile of the toilet on the outside. They could be fastened down with screws or some suitable material and finished to the correct height. You could add other finish if necessary.

You might use 3 pieces, each 3-4 inches long, two widely spaced near the front and one rear, to get the whole thing level, and then insert other fitted pieces with caulking and/or grout to finish closing the space. You could put grooves in the top of the support pieces to keep the toilet from sliding around.

If you use stone you should keep the pieces short with joints so they don't crack.