Understanding my Kitchen Drain Line

Users who are viewing this thread

senior_fold198Seven

Reaction score
This is my second post to the forum, but I haven't been able to reset my password for my original account (Senor_Fold1987). Anyway, I am working on my kitchen and trying to better understand how my kitchen drain line is supposed to work. When the walls are in, it is a very pronounced stub out. Does it make sense to just eliminate the second bend at the kitchen floor level and add an AAV? Or is there a method to this setup? The drain line terminates straight below into the sewer line.

Screenshot_20230213-183746.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 7.13.05 PM.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, eliminate the extra bend. Figure out your entire kitchen sink stack up to come up with the optimal stub out height, or check some of the threads here on the topic.

Yes you absolutely need an AAV or a dry vent that connects to a vent through the roof.

Also that PVC to copper joint looks highly suspect You should cut it out and use a copper to PVC banded coupling tightened to the proper torque. If that's 2" PVC to 3" copper, use Fernco Proflex 3006-32 or Mission Rubber KC-32. If it's 1-1/2" PVC to 2" copper, the last digits change to -215. But in that case you could consider changing all the PVC to 2" up to the wall stub out, and use a. 3001-22 or CK-22

Cheers, Wayne

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Adding to WW's notes: Long sweep fittings are required when waste lines go from vertical to horizontal. AND kitchen sinks are required to be on 2" lines and have a cleanout.

On the water side: Holdrite for stabilizing water stubs is required:
images

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks