Tying in a washer drain into existing drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Red7

Reaction score
Hello,

I am making a 1 bedroom apartment in my basement and want to put in one of those small stacked washer/dryer combos so I'm trying to figure out how to drain the washer. In the small HVAC closet, there is a 2" drain in the floor that the A/C drip line drips into (I'll include a photo). I cut up the concrete and the existing drain has a p trap and I moved it over several feet and then am adding another p trap for the washer using all 2" pipe. So currently, the existing drain is upstream of the underground T where the washer pipe comes in. From that T, there is a 2nd underground P trap for the washer and than that pipe goes straight up to where I'll install the washer valve/drain box. I believe the discharge tube on those small washers are 1-1.25". I haven't closed anything up in case I need to modify something. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240129_133619.jpg
    20240129_133619.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240416_181811.jpg
    20240416_181811.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240416_181818.jpg
    20240416_181818.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240416_181825.jpg
    20240416_181825.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 41

Red7

Reaction score
Would that be a big deal if the floor drain got sucked dry if it's just for a slow drip of the a/c? What would be a better install? I thought of putting the washer drain Ptrap in the wall going into a T with an AAV above it but didn't know if that was necessary since I'd think there should be plenty of air getting into the system (unless I'm not understanding how venting works) with a much smaller washer discharge tube going into a 2" drain pipe. The drain for the A/C also doesn't necessarily need to be a floor drain as the drip line is coming out of the A/C about 2' off the ground, in case raising that above ground would be beneficial. Thanks

Red7

Reaction score
not a good installation santee on side unvented. it might drain ok but likely suck floor drain dry and clog at the tee
Would just adding a AAV to the washer line work? If I has to delete that extra "floor drain", I could probably cap that and install the washer drain low enough that the pvc A/C drip line could drip into tthe washer drain. So is the issue just that the washer line isn't vented, or is it more the fact that I have 2 things draining into 1? Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you at least added a combi and a aav at the wash machine it might have a chance of working better . but it still would not meet code and worse than that might still have tendancy to lose trap seal in the floor drain essetially alowing any gases into the basement . Im very much against that idea. mayby you can open floor up other side of that door split the line and put vent for the floor drain with a wye downstream to shoot over to the wash machin e and its vent or aav . Im not sure my idea comes accross in a way you can understand but its only way I can think of that guarantees good working order