Two water softners in house?

Users who are viewing this thread

mwilliam1982

Reaction score
Hello, my house running two water softner regen systems? I have a Pentair 740/760 control 255 and perform series valves 268,268FA this is just the regen tank with controler. Next to it is a Morten Water softner model MSD45E that has a control panel and salt resevoir. My question is both of these goes through a regeneration. Not sure if these are compatable to be run together? If so When do you regenerate one and when to regenerate the other?

Reach4

Reaction score
Typically the first thing in line is a type of backwashing filter for removal of stuff such as iron and/or H2S.

You regenerate the first one using timing, and that could be every 1, 2, 3 or 7 days... Three seems most common, but this depends on the type of media. You set the time to not happen at the same time that the softener is regenerating. The backwashing filter is usually done in maybe 20 minutes. The softener could take 1.5 or two hours. So maybe 2 AM for the filter, and 2:30AM for the softener.

Bannerman

Reaction score
If your water source is a private well, the purpose of the first unit (without the brine tank) will likely be a filter to reduce iron or manganese as Reach stated. It could also be an acid neutralizer to increase pH if the raw water from the well is acidic (<7.0 pH). If your water is sourced from a private well, post a copy of the most recent lab test report as that should provide the details on water conditions so as to identify the likely purpose for the initial filter.

If your water source is municipal, the initial filter could contain carbon media so as to remove chlorine or chloramines prior to the softener.

mwilliam1982

Reaction score
Typically the first thing in line is a type of backwashing filter for removal of stuff such as iron and/or H2S.

You regenerate the first one using timing, and that could be every 1, 2, 3 or 7 days... Three seems most common, but this depends on the type of media. You set the time to not happen at the same time that the softener is regenerating. The backwashing filter is usually done in maybe 20 minutes. The softener could take 1.5 or two hours. So maybe 2 AM for the filter, and 2:30AM for the softener.
Thank you!Very helpful

WallyO

Reaction score
If your water source is a private well, the purpose of the first unit (without the brine tank) will likely be a filter to reduce iron or manganese as Reach stated. It could also be an acid neutralizer to increase pH if the raw water from the well is acidic (<7.0 pH). If your water is sourced from a private well, post a copy of the most recent lab test report as that should provide the details on water conditions so as to identify the likely purpose for the initial filter.

If your water source is municipal, the initial filter could contain carbon media so as to remove chlorine or chloramines prior to the softener.
Hijacking this post...

I'm trying to figure out my system that I inherited when I purchased this home. It's my first experience with water softeners.

I have two tanks with two control heads. The second one in the line is tied to a brine tank, the first is not. Is there a way to tell if the first one is just for filtration and not softening? There are labels on the tanks, but they don't really say anything useful.

Bannerman

Reaction score
WallyO, Salt brine from the brine tank is required to regenerate softening capacity in a water softener.

The first tank not connected to the brine tank, is most likely a filter of some type.

You didn't state your water source. Carbon filtration media is often utilized to remove chlorine or Chloramine, either of which is usually added to municipal water for sanitation purposes. Carbon will also reduce/remove byproducts of chlorination in addition to many other unwanted contaminants.

If your water source is a private well, without viewing a lab report for your raw well water, we can only speculate on the filter's purpose.

Is there anything indicated somewhere on the tank to hint at its purpose?

Perhaps there is a removable rubber plug on the upper dome of the media tank, a little below the control valve, which will allow media to be more easily added into the tank. This type of tank is most commonly utilized for an acid neutralizer.

How many settings are programmed?

Include some photos showing the front, rear and sides of the control valve, with any covers removed. Also specify the DLFC (drain line flow control) flow rate, usually indicated on a label somewhere on the unit, and indicate the diameter and height of the media tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks