Two pumps in well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Troll57

Reaction score
Five years ago when my well pump went out the well company service man tried using the boom to pull the old one out and it became jammed in the well. He then installed the new one above the old one. Everything seemed to work great but now we are getting flecks of debris in the screens of our water fixtures that plug the screens. Less than a year ago we had a new hot water system installed, we went from a tank to an on-demand, that is actually when the debris started showing up. We contacted the plumber and they came out and installed a small water filter between the pump and the pressure tank. We still get debris in the screens. My questions are, was this ok to install the new pump with the old one still in the well casing, what could this debris be and where could it becoming from?

Reach4

Reaction score
My questions are, was this ok to install the new pump with the old one still in the well casing
Usually yes.
what could this debris be and where could it becoming from?

Describe the debris. You should have a fair amount on the filter cartridge. What does it look like on the element? When you put the sediment into a jar of water, and shake, what do you see? How long does it take for the material to settle out?

If this stuff is getting through the new cartridge filter, either the filter is too course, the material is too fine, or the filter is defective.

Chances are a different filter will be your course of action.

I am not a pro.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Installing a 2nd pump is sometimes the only option if a pump is stuck in a well. If you have a 4" steel cased well, which I suspect you do....then it's past time to get on drillers list to drill another. You are probably seeing rust/casing flakes in your water. If the casing has rusted through you could be seeing sand/grit/clay/well gravel/grout....any number of this possibly present in the borehole.

Wondering

Reaction score
Shouldn't the water filter be installed after the tank instead of between pump and tank, if I understood it's location correctly from above statement?

Reach4

Reaction score
Shouldn't the water filter be installed after the tank instead of between pump and tank, if I understood it's location correctly from above statement?
I missed noting that aspect of his post. If that filter before the pressure switch clogs, that could destroy the pump.

He should instead have a fairly large cartridge filter after his pressure tank.

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
Seen a filter between the pup and tank installed for sand issue. But---after a time they forgot to change the filter and the pressure burst the filter---woooo all the sand in the filter was in everthing. A big mess. LB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks