Turbidity discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are some common methods to treat turbidity, including each methods effectiveness and maximum capability, pros and cons? ie. sand filter, cartridge filter, Alum, H2O2, Cl injection etc.

Last edited:

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
no thoughts? I was curious what you guys would recommend for different types of turbidity, such as, let's say, colodial clay,

Reach4

Reaction score
no thoughts? I was curious what you guys would recommend for different types of turbidity, such as, let's say, colloidal clay,
Moving?:(

Try putting colloidal clay into the search box above.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
have an example of that. working for another company we had a customer built a new house. well was 2 ft from the road which I found strange. anyway, water was terrible. tested 56 gpg, 20+ iron, off the charts H2S, methane, etc. they sold him a lot of equipment (won't get into specifics). anyway, it was a dry summer and then a week of constant rain. colodial clay presented and went off the charts. totally ruined most of the equipment and he sued them for like $50 k. company had a good contract which protected them. the experience though taught me the important a of a clause saying something to the effect of "not guaranteed as water quality can change". good learning experience

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Turbidity, colloidal issues etc is virtually indefinable. It is simply too broad of a term. Like tannins, turbidity is a description of a problem rather than an actual contaminant. Pilot testing is key unless you are aware of common causes/solutions that are common in your area.

The obvious solutions can be as simple as gravity filtration (settling) with the use of a contact tank, to as complex and alum injection, contact time, oxidation, and UF.

We have seen chocolate colored water turn crystal clear with a cheap 5 micron melt blown filter (they did not last long, but they were cheap), to problems that take a multistage approach. We work with a lot of companies to make them simple pilot test filters that can allow them to design an appropriate filter specific to their water quality problem.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
understood. was hoping for a larger discussion in relation to all types, however, I realize it might be too broad a topic. a previous employer used alum quite frequently for clay issues, so I was looking for opinions on alternatives such as multistage cartridge filtration (ie 10 mic, 5 mic, 1 mic in series) for people with cost or space limitations.

Reach4

Reaction score
understood. was hoping for a larger discussion in relation to all types, however, I realize it might be too broad a topic. a previous employer used alum quite frequently for clay issues, so I was looking for opinions on alternatives such as multistage cartridge filtration (ie 10 mic, 5 mic, 1 mic in series) for people with cost or space limitations.
I would save some big clear glass jars. Put the cloudy water in one, and let it sit where there is no vibration for a few days. If the water clears with sitting (starting at the top), then I think it is not colloidal clay.

If that 5 micron spun filter clears up the water, I think it's not colloidal clay. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Settling-time-for-particles-of-various-diameters_tbl1_267416897 has some interesting comments on settling time. You are not going to be using a 1 meter tall container, of course.

Flocculant would be a good search term for that think you were thinking of when you wrote alum.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would save some big clear glass jars. Put the cloudy water in one, and let it sit where there is no vibration for a few days. If the water clears with sitting (starting at the top), then I think it is not colloidal clay.

If that 5 micron spun filter clears up the water, I think it's not colloidal clay. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Settling-time-for-particles-of-various-diameters_tbl1_267416897 has some interesting comments on settling time. You are not going to be using a 1 meter tall container, of course.

Flocculant would be a good search term for that think you were thinking of when you wrote alum.
makes sense. thanks for the link :cheers :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks