Tubing choice for running discharge across dropped ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

ajs123

Reaction score
I'm installing a 1 cf Fleck 5800 system and the only place to run the discharge is 70 feet or so away (existing standpipe from a washer hookup that's no longer there). About 20 ft. of the run will be behind a dropped ceiling and 12 ft fished through a joist space above a portion of the basement that was finished with drywall. I'm running 3/4 PEX along most of the same path to get un-softened cold to the kitchen as well as an outdoor bib.

Questions:
(1) What kind of tubing, and what size, should I use for the discharge? Advice from a reputable plumbing supply show was that 1/2" vinyl is fine but the manual from the vendor says to use solid-wall tubing that can't get pinched, and the full fleck manual says 3/4" if going over 20' or over 7 gpm. But this unit includes an orifice to limit drain flow rate to 2.0 gpm. Pressure drop in a 20' 1/2" pipe at 7 gpm (OK per the manual) is around 10 psi. The drop at 80' and 2 gpm is less than 5 psi. As i understand it, these units use rotary valving so flow doesn't abruptly start or stop, so length per se shouldn't matter. Do I have it right?

(2) I'll support the PEX at every other joist where it's accessible. But in the 12' run behind drywall do I need to get in there and install hangers?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like cpvc for this I think it looks cleaner than pex I thought 1/2 inch but wouldnt hurt to go 3/4 sounds like you are maxed out for 1./2,

ajs123

Reaction score
I like cpvc for this I think it looks cleaner than pex I thought 1/2 inch but wouldnt hurt to go 3/4 sounds like you are maxed out for 1./2,
I ended up running 1/2 inch CPVC (before seeing your answer). I'm comfortable with the 1/2 inch. If needed, I can measure the backwash flow and adjust the time. I ran it down several inches into the standpipe, through a rubber airgap cap, with a union just above so it can be removed. It does look nice and clean (in parallel with the unsoftened cold line that I had to run!).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks