Tub/shower remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

trebor1meesh

Reaction score
This is my first post. I'm updating my combo tub/shower with new cast iron tub (30X60)and new travertine walls. Can you widen the tub width to 34X60 by building up the back wall? I'm thinking of creating a back ledge by adding two 2X6X60 along the back wall and securing them to the existing studs before adding back boards. I hope you understand my question.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A conventional tub has a raised flange on the two ends and across the back. This makes the installation very waterproof. Are you planning some kind of deck-mounted tub? There are more difficult to make waterproof.

Are you aware how much a cast iron tub weighs? There are quality alternatives such as high end acrylics, and the cast resin models. Cast iron is still probably considered the Cadillac.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks