Tub/shower combo to tub - P-trap replacement from same floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace a fiberglass tub/shower combo with a tub (same length - 60", but 32" wide instead of 30"), so it's probable the P-trap will have to be moved (replaced) to accommodate the new tub drain position. The 1-1/2" drainage pipe runs parallel with the length of the tub towards the other end of the tub, where the pipe enters a sanitary tee and runs downward through an exterior wall. Floor joists are 2x10s running parallel with the length of the tub, with the trap to tee distance about 55". A closet is on the other side of the wet wall.

The tub is on a second floor, with a finished textured ceiling immediately below on the first floor, so I can't work from below (it would be impossible to match the slapbrush texture on the ceiling, so a hole cut in the ceiling is a non-starter). How would the pros tackle this job?

Do I need to remove the subfloor under the tub to gain access to the existing pipe so I can cut out the old P-trap and install a new one in the correct location? Or could this typically be accomplished through the clearance hole in the subfloor for the drain shoe? Obviously some careful measurements are necessary, but it seems to me the work could be done from above.

I'm going to cut out a section of the drywall in the closet to get a better idea of the layout, but I'm curious if the pros here would normally be able to do this work from the same floor as the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks