trying to update

Users who are viewing this thread

macmic87

Reaction score
i am updating the bathroom and the main waste line is getting redone also. house was built in 1949 so the plumbing has a lot to be desired. it use to have a leech field and now there is a sewer hookup. the main waste exits at the top of the foundation wall, not leaving me much room to work with. the total length or the run is 12 feet. what i need to know is, first am i using the correct fitting for the fixtures and second, having the vent at that location. the room is very small with 3 of the walls being made from cinder block. restudding for space for plumbing is not there. take a look at my crude drawing and thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Scan0006a.jpg
    Scan0006a.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 141

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
All of the fixtures that you are planning on need to be vented seperately if you are running the single main line. There are ways to combine certain drains that can be wet vented, reducing the amount of piping and fittings to a minimum.

The fittings seem to be ok . You just need to revise your drawing slightly to show the proper vents. Specifically, your toilet to start with

macmic87

Reaction score
krow, thanks for the reply. could please explain more on wet venting and where to place a vent for the toilet. thanks.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
based on your sketch, I made a "side view.

In this pic, the basin and bathtub are wet venting the toilet and the utility sink is being dry vented. The 3" vent goes out through the roof. The vent is primarily used to stop the water from the fixture P-trap from being syphoned out. You need the water in the trap to keep sewer gases from coming into your home.

The Clean out is not required inmost places, but a good option to have.

The sizing of the wet vents and dry vents are also critical. Each state/province will have their own sizing specs for a certain fixture, so I don't want to mislead you with sizes if I don't know what area you are in.

This is a basic simple layout , but there are many more ways to run the drains and vents

In theory, the 3" vent can actually branch off the blue Clean out line and still be legal

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks