Trap Primer. Can someone help me identify this brass... valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

theguy08

Reaction score
(see images below)

After a company came into my house to replace my hot water tank after a flood damaged my previous one the technician turned the water back on and commented that someone seems to be using the water. We could hear water running through the pipes. After checking that no one was using the water the technician just left. The sound was definitely not happening before the water tank was installed but I assumed that it was just from the new water tank being filled. 5 hours later I woke up to get ready for work and I heard the same sound and went to the basement to check. Sure enough water was still running through my pipes somewhere. I grabbed a step stool and started following the pipes from the water main and discovered this... junction or valve? It clearly looks like there has been some corrosion on it, and even holes on the nut. It seems that it should be replaced but I have to identify it before I can buy a replacement. Water comes in on the one side, and exits out in-line on the other side going to my bathroom in the back of the house. The outlet on the bottom is attached to a pipe that leads into a plastic pipe in my basement floor that I believe is just a drain of some kind (the furnace uses this pipe to drain condensation into, and the humidifier for the furnace also has a tube draining into it).

Anyone know what this junction is called? Is it a valve of some kind? My water is currently shut off at the main so I'm not wasting water. There is also a hissing sound coming from the holes in the nut that you see. If I block the holes with my fingers the hissing stops (but the water doesn't stop flowing) and my fingers will be slightly wet after.

theguy08

Reaction score
Forgot to add the pictures... at work, cant edit the rotation of the images! Sorry :eek:

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 433
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 471
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Looks to be a trap primer, it`s to keep a trap seal in a floor drain. It should only release water to the trap when another faucet is turned on. May be faulty.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is definitely a trap primer. If your able to find the same one. You can undue the nut and just change the guts and nut. Pay close attention to the flow. There will be an arrow on it

Reach4

Reaction score
Most people don't have a trap primer in their homes.

theguy08

Reaction score
Thank you guys, you are absolutely correct. A quick search of the internet for trap primer and I found exactly the same part, with a local plumbing supply shop that has them in stock.

The next question is however so I need to actually replace it? One of the guys on staff at the supply shop suggested that since my furnace and humidifier both already drain into that floor pipe that they will keep the trap plenty supplied with water so the primer is overkill.

Any thoughts?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Thank you guys, you are absolutely correct. A quick search of the internet for trap primer and I found exactly the same part, with a local plumbing supply shop that has them in stock.

The next question is however so I need to actually replace it? One of the guys on staff at the supply shop suggested that since my furnace and humidifier both already drain into that floor pipe that they will keep the trap plenty supplied with water so the primer is overkill.

Any thoughts?
Yeah your okay without the trap primer.
Imo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks