Time delay fan switch for bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

zuren

Reaction score
I have a household of forgetful/highly distracted people. I'm finding 2 situations with our bathroom fans:

1. Fan being left ON all the time (eg, someone uses the toilet then steps out leaving the fan running OR less common, leaves the fan running after a shower)
2. Fan not being run long enough (eg, someone takes a steamy shower and shuts everything down when they leave, but bathroom is still moist).

Energy is either getting wasted or moisture is allowed to sit around - neither situation is good. I wanted to know if there is a recommended timer switch?

Each bathroom has a dedicated fan switch. This model comes up in a fair number of internet searches - https://www.aircycler.com/collections/shop/products/smartexhaust-rocker?variant=4871953221

With this switch, you can manually shut off the fan but there is a delay timer built-in, so the fan can be set to run an extra XX number of minutes before the fan shuts off. There are no extra buttons for children or guests to fiddle with. The "fan only" model seems to be a good option and is $58 (a little pricey but will hopefully equal cost savings in the long term).

So I was just wondering if anyone had some general feedback or any specific experience with this Aircycler switch?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've used a moisture sensing switch that will turn the fan on automatically and run it for a period after the sensor dries out. If you manually turn it on, it will turn itself off after a preset delay. The one I have was marketed with a Panasonic brand name on it, but they don't make it, and you can buy it without that trademark from the manufacturer. Panasonic puts that sensor in some of their fans, and it tends to function even better since the hot, moist air goes up...it doesn't have to accumulate as much in the room before it turns itself on when it's implemented in a wall switch. This is the same as the one marketed by Panasonic from what I can tell https://www.amazon.com/DewStop-FS-3...8-1&keywords=moisture+sensing+bath+fan+switch
Moisture sensing wal switch.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those switches will keep a fan on for a preset time limit, but don't turn it on if someone forgets and the room gets saturated with steam. Most people turn it off when they leave the room, assuming they turned it on, and that's not usually long enough to dry the room out sufficiently much of the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks