Tile in sink in a Corian countertop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gecko

Reaction score
I need to put a cast iron sink into a Corian countertop. I do not like either the underhung or self rimming versions, however this sink is also available in a tile-in version. I could cut the hole in the Corian carefully sized to the sink outline, back up the edge with a Corian shelf, drop the sink in flush, then caulk the gap, leaving a flush sink with a minimum of cleaning issues.

Has anyone done this, and are there likely to be problems?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you reinforced the sink area, the fabricator could rout out a well to recess the tile-in sink so the edges would be flush with the countertop. You'd need to use a flexible caulk to seal around it, since the sink and the countertop would expand and contract at different rates, so the gap would need some room to allow for this and the caulk. A cast iron sink is pretty heavy, so there'd need to be some added reinforcement installed underneath to support it.

Gecko

Reaction score
Yeah, that's more or less what I am thinking. Since the rim is 7/16, and the 1/2 inch corian is really about 15/32, I intend to glue a Corian ledge under the hole to set the sink on. Cut the hole about 3/32 big all around for the caulk joint.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think I'd want more than that underneath to hold up the sink, which could weigh 40# without water or dishes in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks