This one may require an asprin

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike_B

Reaction score
House built in 1940 with full bathroom on 1st floor. By your descriptions this is a wet vent system. It appears many years ago the 2nd floor bathroom (toilet, sink and closet where the tub would go) was added. I'm in the middle of gutting the 2nd floor bath to update it and add a tiled shower. I see now that the toilet and sink drain into the vent stack. Aside from moving a door and converting it into a walk-in closet, what can I do? I'm guessing I have to find a way to drop another 3" pipe to the basement to connect the toilet shower and sink.

Mike_B

Reaction score
Fingers crossed

Thanks. I guess the other professionals are agreeing with you. We have a cesspool and went our first 6 yrs. here without having it pumped. It was less than half full so that seems to be still working great!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

When we did second floor additions, we cut the vent off from the stack and capped it. Then we extended the vent up to a point 42" above the second story's floor line. This will not work, however if the existing lavatory drain is connected to the vent stack, rather than having its own riser pipe with a separate vent connection to the stack.

Mike_B

Reaction score
Hj

I'm sorry. I guess I'm not understanding. The house is a cape cod and my main stack/vent is in about 6' from the back wall of the house. Non of the traps on the 1st floor are "vented" individually. Wet vent system, right? It looks like they put a wye in stack under the 2nd floor to run to the back wall and then up and out the newer roof. The toilet is over that pipe at the back wall. Where the wye is, the horizonal run is reduced (in the wall) to 2" and does a 90 approx. 2' off the floor and runs in the wall about 2' and is used as a drain for the sink.
I'm planning on building a shower wall and put the sink on the other side of that wall with supply lines and drain in that wall. The drain for shower and sink would run to the 3" the toilet is on and run the vent to the old sink drain. Will that work?
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks