The lever (single )on the washer machine shut off valve is missing

Users who are viewing this thread

wsmith5

Reaction score
read that I should clean the screens on the washing machine water lines.I went to the shut off valve on the wall and the lever is missing. the valve is brass and the lever is in the middle between the hot and cold lines .looks like it would have screwed in .anyone know what tread it used ,maybe I could find a bolt to screw in to close the valve?the valve has never been touched since I bought the washer 26 years ago.

Richard Ellis

Reaction score
If the lever (or round handle) is missing, you should still be able to grab the shaft of the valve itself, the part where the screw goes, and close the valve.

Words of caution here:
1). If you have not used the valve for many years, it may be stuck, so be cautious.
2. If you want to put a handle back on in the future, be careful not to damage the ridges on the valve stem
2). I have also found that often time valves that had say unused for many years, which are then closed, tend to leak from the stem or don't seat off well. So know where your main isolation valve is in case you need to turn it off.

Another option...
Make a trip to the hardware store (the orange or blue one), and take a look at replacement valves. Ask the sales rep to help you find a screw for a similar valve you can take home to replace your lost screw.

Of course if you have lost the handle or lever then this option would be of no use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks