Tankless for long run to bonus room above garage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Suey Vee.

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been posted, I looked but did not see a similar situation.

I am finishing a bonus room above an attached garage. No gas/ lp available, electric only.

The tank water heater is approximately 80' away from the garage. In the bonus room there will be a bathroom shower on one end and kitchen sink on the far end - so it would be a long run from the water heater. We are in Northern Michigan, and the main garage level will only be heated to 45 or so. Should I install a second / smaller tank type heater or go with a tankless inline with the existing tank, just in the garage for faster hot water? The space is mostly for guests and hot water won't be needed that often, I don't want to heat water that won't be used (especially a tank in the 45 degree space). Garage electric has not been completed yet, there will be a full panel so I can plan for either. Thank you.

Suey Vee.

Reaction score
Have you considered an on-demand recirculation pump?
I looked into them, but with the room not getting used much up there, the units with the timers did not apply, and I saw one with a push-button - but having to explain to guests and teen-agers how it works seemed somewhat not likely to be used. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Electric tankless heaters are an abomination, abusive to the grid infrastructure, and totally inadequate for you wintertime incoming water temperatures.

An 80' run of 3/4" plumbing has about 2 gallons of water in it, an 80' run of half-inch about 1 gallon. With a demand circulation pump it would still take several seconds for hot water to arrive, but running a low flow shower could seem endless.

With an 8-10 gallon water heater in the bonus room space that takes the output of the main water heater into it's cold-side there is sufficient dilution factor that the 1-2 gallons of tepid water between the tanks never affects the output temperature, and hot water arrives to the kitchen or shower in a "normal" amount of time. Keep the storage temperature of the local water heater at 130-140F, and temper it down to 115F or so with a thermostatic mixing valve for distribution to the local kitchen & bath. With the extra bath the additional capacity of the small tank matters too.

If it isn't already, insulate all of the hot water distribution plumbing to at least a code-minimum R3 with pipe insulation ( R5 would be even better.) An 80' run has a lot of surface area to lose heat from, so intermittent short draws of less than a few gallons can waste a fair amount of heat if uninsulated, but with insulation it will have retained most of the residual heat even after an hour.

Stuff

Reaction score
I looked into them, but with the room not getting used much up there, the units with the timers did not apply, and I saw one with a push-button - but having to explain to guests and teen-agers how it works seemed somewhat not likely to be used. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
That is a drawback. They now offer occupancy sensors to get rid of the button. OK in the bathroom but kitchenette might be a challenge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks