Tankless electric water heater under counter?

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by Spoolofpipe, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Spoolofpipe

Spoolofpipe New Member

Are there code restrictions against mounting a tankless water heater inside a pantry or cabinet (under the counter)?

I was planning on putting an eemax 240v water heater inside the sink cabinet or inside the back of the pantry?

A buddy of mine (contractor) said that I needed 6'5" clear in front of the water heater according to NEC, is that right?

The pantry isnt a typical closet style pantry, but its divided into sections, so the bottom section I want to put it in, is 30"W x 30" T x 24" D

2. Dana

Dana In the trades

According to page 4 of the manual here's an 18" clearance from the bottom, 10" from the top (28" even before accounting for the height of the unit itself), and 8" clearance requirement on both sides (16" total before accounting for the width of the waterheater.)

So to stuff it in a 30" tall x 30" wide space the water heater would need to be no more than 2 inches tall, and no wider than 14". Without looking up the dimensions I suspect it'll be fine for width, but will absolutely never make it height-wise.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Spoolofpipe

Spoolofpipe New Member

Thanks for the response!

The one we have is an HA series, but it has similar clearances
    "Recommended Clearances: 12 inches above and below the heater 6 inches in front of and to the sides of the heater CAUTION: Combustible materials should be kept at least 24 inches away from your water heater and the hot water outlet pipe."

So in this case would it be the install manual not NEC that drove the clearances?

5. Dana

Dana In the trades

Installation instructions always supersede the NEC whenever the instructions are more restrictive than code.