Sweating Multiple Joints Close Together

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Amatuer123, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Amatuer123

Amatuer123 New Member

Quick question...I've read all the tips on here regarding soldering but need a few on soldering multiple joints that are about an inch apart. I soldered those pictured below one after the other w/ pretty bad results. I basically heated one at a time and then didn't have to heat the next as long. Set the fire alarm off w/ a little smoke. Also, should I just try again based on these ugly results? :rolleyes: Thanks! Joe

Attached Files:

2. Amatuer123

Amatuer123 New Member

Also...Reheated w/ some Flux 3 times

Also...I Reheated for 5 or so seconds w/ some added Flux 3 additional times w/ in approximately 1 minute each time. I did this because the joints didn't look sealed and I added some more solder... but it wasn't adhering that good or moving to the joint. Joe

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Cass

Cass Plumber

The joints don't look to bad. Turn on the water and see if you have a leak. What brand of flux did you use, Oatey 95 pre tinning?

5. Amatuer123

Amatuer123 New Member

Oatey

Cass, I'll run some water through them tonight; they are not hooked up to the supply yet; yes, oatey 95. Thank's for looking.

6. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

copper

When soldering multiple copper fittings I usually started with the bottom joint because it will be quicker to get the solder to flow at the upper joints.

So when you get the solder to flow quickly around the joint, you want to quit it and go to the next.

Then gently wipe with a rag or your finger if its fairly tough skinned.

7. prashster

prashster New Member

When I solder close joints - or even multiple sides of the same fitting, I tie a wet rag around one end and do one side at a time. Wet rags are good heat sinks. The only caution is that if you heat too long, the rag could ignite. This RARELY happens, though - but keep a bucket of h2o on hand J.I.C.