Swanstone Tub Surround Adhesive

Users who are viewing this thread

GPOMM

Reaction score
Good morning...I have a bit of a problem regarding my Swanstone solid surface tub surround installation. Here are the details as of now:

I installed 1/2 Hardiebacker in the tub area. I used Fibatape cement board tape and thinset mortar to fill the joints between the Hardiebacker. Then I rolled on Glidden Gripper primer to seal the area which appears to be the mistake. After that I followed the Swanstone installation instructions and used GE Silicone II on the back of the surround walls and set the walls with wood bracing. When I took the bracing off last night, I noticed some of the corners of the surround didn't adhere to the Hardiebacker. I pulled a bit and...whoops, the wall panel pulled right off. Since primer doesn't stick to silicone it makes sense that silicone won't stick to primer.

I used the Glidden Gripper because it was specified for cement board but after searching the Glidden website realized the silicone isn't going to stick to it.

At this point, I'm looking for advice on how best to correct this. An option appears to be Loctite Power Grab for tub surrounds but Loctite states the cement board can't be primed. So I'd have to sand off the primer. Or is there is different adhesive that would work in my case?

Appreciate any help the community can provide. Thanks!

GPOMM

Reaction score
Follow-up: I spoke with GE, Swanstone, and Glidden about their products and my application. Swanstone said they have heard of problems using GE Silicone II which is a neutral cure silicone (as opposed to GE Silicone I which is an acetoxy silicone). Because of the Glidden Acrylic primer, GE recommends using GE Max Flex 5000 Kitchen and Bath sealant. This proved difficult to find but I did locate it at Grainger. I'm going to try putting this up again with the new sealant this weekend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks