Sump Pump Clogged with Grass

Users who are viewing this thread

KenWS

Reaction score
I own a home built in 1972 with a sump pump and basin in my basement floor. There are drain tiles leading to the basin which appear to go under my house; however, am not 100% positive where they run. Yesterday we had torrential rain in CT and flash flood warnings. The sump pump has to work hard on a typical rainy day so when I got home from work I went to check on it. It was making a terrible noise and not shutting off. The basin is sealed so I opened it to find grass and leaves floating in the pit. I reached down and pulled clumps of grass that were stuck to the screen on the pump. It has rained many times and I have never seen grass clippings or leaves in my basin and as far as I know the drain tiles do not come above ground at all. Additionally, I originally thought it could be backup from the discharge, but this is not possible as the discharge pipe feeds into a 4" pipe outside the house well above the soil and the 2 pipes are not physically connected (smaller just dumps into the larger). Any idea what could be causing this?

MKS

Reaction score
Two guesses.
The grade around the building slopes toward the building allowing grass clippings and leaves to enter the perimeter drain or something along the lines of a sink hole.

KenWS

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and suggestions - A little more information, I have mulch all around my foundation and have not cut my grass for a week. I am almost positive the clippings and leaves (which were green) are not from my yard.

Reach4

Reaction score
Wind event blew vegetation into the gutters?

KenWS

Reaction score
Checking to see if anyone has suggestions here. Once again had another really hard rain and sump pump basin almost overflowed due to green grass and leaves clogging my pump inlet.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Search your property to look for an entry point such as a catch basin or surface drain in your yard or driveway. Since you previously stated the grass was not from your yard, perhaps there is a catch basin located close to the edge of your property.

You said the gutters do not drain into the foundation drainage, but had they done so in the past? If they had, there may be a capped vertical pipe at each downspout location. If one of the caps is missing or broken, that may be the entry point.

Foundation perimeter drainage typically utilizes perforated plastic pipe that is buried beside the building's foundation footings which is then covered in gravel so unless there is a vertical pipe to the ground surface, it seems virtually impossible for grass clippings to enter through the foundation drainage. Often, the perforated pipe will be inserted into a cloth 'sock' to prevent even fine silt from entering the small perforations.

Reach4

Reaction score
ideas:
  1. Smoke test to identify ingress points -- maybe find the magic pipe the kids stuff stuff into?
  2. switch to a grinder pump do deal with it?

KenWS

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. There are no perimeter drains that would allow for grass to enter that I know about. The house is 50 years old and I have only lived here for 3, so I will dig around near the gutters to ensure (currently gutters all have pipes leading the water away from the house). I have upgraded to a zoeller sump pump capable of 1/2" solids, so hopefully this will fix the issue of clogging. My biggest concern was that there is a broken storm drain causing a sinkhole or something that is allowing that much water to get to my foundation. I think I will try a smoke test to see where the points of entry may be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks