Stuck Pittless Adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Bruce2019

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a real problem. I can't free up the pittless adapter on my son's well. I broke my tee at the top and I'm afraid to do it again because if it brakes at the pittless adapter, It will be bad. I have an engine hoist above the well case hooked to the tee and cranked it a few times and she won't budge. I'm afraid to crank any higher. The pump has been down there for nearly 50 years and that is why she doesn't want to budge. Going to try to lower a tooth brush with baking soda, vinegar, or maybe PB Blaster as a last resort and let that soak for a while. Anybody else had this problem and know of a fix. please let me know.

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Post a sharp picture as best you can.

I broke my tee at the top
MCK-250.jpg
A tee like the top of this? If I broke off one ear of the top tee, I might try to lasso the pipe under the tee with a steel cable, and attach the other end to something that cannot fall down the casing.

I am not a pro.

4 inch steel casing? I am suspecting a pro could dig down below the casing. Then attach the rig to to the top of the casing somehow to take the weight. Cut the casing below the pitless. Lift out everthing. Weld a new piece atop the cut-off casing. The new piece could adapt to a 5 inch or bigger casing section, and that could then accept a trapezoidal pitless that is more common today.

Bruce2019

Reaction score
Post a sharp picture as best you can.

MCK-250.jpg
A tee like the top of this? If I broke off one ear of the top tee, I might try to lasso the pipe under the tee with a steel cable, and attach the other end to something that cannot fall down the casing.

I am not a pro.
My tee is homemade. The fitting is similar but has pipes threaded on each side. It broke at the threads of the fitting. The pump has a nylon rope attached. I'm going to try to lasso a backup for I don't trust that old line! I just can't understand how it could be that stuck, It's like it's welded!!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing there is a set screw, cable, or other locking mechanism. Gotta figure out what kind of pitless and how to unlock it before you break something.

Reach4

Reaction score
Was your tee like this tee-handle, rather than part of the pitless?
thandle_cover_title.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I use and the pittless is about 5 feet deep!!
Where did it break?
img_4jpg.jpg

If at the bottom (D), that's a problem.

I think you should unscrew your t-handle from the pitless, and get a good picture of the pitless. You may have a friend with a telephoto camera. For light, use a flash, or direct sunlight down with a mirror.

You could also rig something that will lower a camera that can take a series of flash pictures. DON'T DROP ANYTHING down the well. Many small cameras have a mount connection that is 1/4-20 thread. If you rig something up, make it sturdy and reliable.

Bruce2019

Reaction score
Where did it break?
View attachment 51465

If at the bottom (D), that's a problem.

I think you should unscrew your t-handle from the pitless, and get a good picture of the pitless. You may have a friend with a telephoto camera. For light, use a flash, or direct sunlight down with a mirror.

You could also rig something that will lower a camera that can take a series of flash pictures. DON'T DROP ANYTHING down the well. Many small cameras have a mount connection that is 1/4-20 thread. If you rig something up, make it sturdy and reliable.

C is where it broke. I already fixed the tee and have it screwed in the pittless hooked up to my engine lift with just a little tension. I just dowsed the pittless with vinegar and baking soda. I'm going to let that sit and see if she'll loosen a bit. I have a cheap plumbers camera with 100' of line and I will try and get some photo's of the adapter only 5 feet down later , that should be easy. Then I can see what the deal is.

Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
How big is your casing? Is it steel?

Bruce2019

Reaction score
6" steel .
Looks like the casing shifted a tiny bit or corroded heavily atop of the adapter. The part of the adapter that has to slide up is blocked by the side of the casing. It appears to be digging into the side of the casing. It's almost like the adapter countersunk into the casing. Tomorrow I will try to scrape all the corrosion away plus way more if needed. Hopefully I can make the pittless adapter slide able again.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have pounded on the top of the pitless a good bit to help break the crust of having been down the hole for years. I was working at another house when a pump tech was pulling with his boom and when the pitless broke free the pipe came up out of the hole like a rocket until it hit the end of the line and came crashing back down.
Be careful, fingers are not always permanent.