Stagnant Urine smell coming from toilet water

Users who are viewing this thread

Keith Raymond

Reaction score
We just built our new home, and the guest toilet has a constant stagnant water issue. The toilet does not smell during the day with constant use. It will smell the next day after no one has used it overnight and it is the toilet water as the smell becomes infinitely worse once the toilet water becomes disturbed. The area around the toilet does not smell and it is not an issue of aim as it is my toilet that no one else uses, I keep it very clean. I have been scrubbing it almost daily but it is BRAND new, less than 2 months in the home. Please help on what could be causing this? I know it is a low flush unit, so I hold the handle down until the entire tank drains, and this does not help even after 2-3 flushes. The fresh water coming in does not seem to smell, it is just after the water has been allowed to sit for 12-24 hours.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pretty odd. Is the smell from the tank or the bowl or both?

I am thinking that some kind of chlorine product may help. Adding chlorine to the tank is supposed to be hard on the components there, but I have a friend who puts a big slow-dissolving pool chlorine tablet in his tanks. He is willing to change flappers and more if necessary. Some flappers are sold as chlorine resistant.

There are products that go in series with the tank refill hose. The advantage is that the chlorine does not go into the tank. The downside is that it can impede the bowl refill function. But knowing the answer to the first question will help you select something to try next.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try Kaboom Scrub Free or Fluidmaster Flush n' Sparkle. Definitely go for the bleach version. However with the low-water-use toilets they restrict the bowl fill just a little. So it throws off the calibrated bowl fill. Some fill valves have an adjustment to control the bowl fill.

You could also consider one of the products that clips to the bowl rim.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks