Splitting washer supply lines to add a sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeym

Reaction score
Below is the pic of washer supply lines in the garage. I am installing a sink next to the washer and don't want to open up the walls to split the copper lines. Instead, my plan was to install a wye adapter on each valve (blue in the pic below) and attach washer hose to one end. On the other end, install a garden hose to pipe adapter and then run flexible pipe for the faucet.

Any other suggestions or edits you would recommend?
Thx

washer supply.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Make the outlet a GFCI outlet.

I would lube the rubber washers very lightly with silicone plumber's grease. Keep an extra supply of good hose washers handy, and replace the existing ones that are old while you are unscrewing. You might even replace the washers that come with your wye adapters with higher quality. I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

Mikeym

Reaction score
Thanks. Is there a good source of lead free fittings? Most of the ones in the stores and online are not lead-free and I don't want to use plastic.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try this search in a search engine: "hose wye" "lead free"

I expect the common cheap one made of plated zinc don't have lead.

I think it is overcautious to think that brass made with lead would be a problem for your laundry sink. However lead-free makes you comfortable, so go for it.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all hoses are rated for use with hot water...make sure the ones you choose are. And, not all of them are rated for potable water, so take that into consideration if you might ever want to fill a glass from the new sink. Even washing machine hoses can have issues if you don't relieve the pressure to them...when they get old, they can burst. All of the instruction manuals I've seen say to shut the water off when not using it. Few people actually do, and most don't have a problem...but, a burst hose can cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage if you're the unlucky one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks