Splice and new receptacle-same box

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshp58

Reaction score
I have an old house and none of the outlets are grounded. I plan on running new wire to the outlets and grounding them. The problem is that the current outlets are in line with the lights and switches, etc. Can I splice the current wiring in the new receptacle with the new outlet? I'm thinking a deep 1 gang box would have room for both, but is that up to code? Or does the splice need its own junction box or 2gang box to be with the new outlet?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not an electrician. My comments are not based on experience.

Splicing with wire nuts or other approved splice is OK. What is not OK, oddly enough, is to run a separate ground wire to accompany old 2-wire no-ground wire. Is that what you intend? In practice, it seems good to me, but it is not code.

You are allowed to replace the 2-hole outlet with a GFCI that has 3 holes. Add a sticker that says there is no actual ground, and you are OK for protecting people but not so much equipment.

Joshp58

Reaction score
I'm going to run new wire with ground to the outlet, however I need the old wires to still connect to keep the rest of the circuit in tact. My question is whether both of those can be in a single gang receptacle box.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The things you'll have to watch out for are how solid the insulation is on the older wires, and, the box's fill capacity is...

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is much nicer to work in bigger boxes and save the box fill calculations for multiple conductors. I like to retrofit with 4x4 boxes, and then use a single device cover if that is all that is required. You can also get various cover depths as to come out flush with the finished wallboard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks