Sorry to start thread, not sure what forum this should be in, sump pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gopack1

Reaction score
I live in old house built over a foundation which has a crawl space. My sump pump is in the corner of this. in the 90's they built a 4 seasons room as an extension to the house, and put in a full basement under that small room. They knocked the wall out where the sump pump is in the crawl space, so it can (kind of) be accessed in the new basement. Since the sump is in the original craws space beneath the house it is higher than the bottom of the small basement built under the extension of the 4 season room that was added. that basement does get some water in it when it is really wet out, and the sump pump under the house runs a lot, but of course does nothing in the small basement. I'd like to have a new sump installed in the basement portion that would work for the entire house if possible since the crawl space is a pain to access. Is there a way to do this without major construction? I'd really like that sump out of the crawlspace and somewhere easier to access like the small basement, but that small basement, although next to where the sump currently is, is deeper than the crawl space. any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
I dug a sump under a stairway. I rented an electric hammer to break through the concrete.

I don't know what you would call major construction.

I would put the new pit in before decommissioning the existing pit.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the higher sump pit have drain tile entering it? If not how does water enter it?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the few basements I worked on we ran perforated pipe and water proofed . as for retrofitting a failed system Im sure theres a few tricks but your basement might not have had drains installed daylighting out or going to a sump

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks