Something doesn't add up on my deep well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Retired IT guy

Reaction score
My deep well pump died after 24 years of use. The plaque on the well head said the well was 200 feet deep, but when I pulled it up yesterday the pump was only 100 feet deep. Why drill a 200 foot well and only sink the pump halfway? Should I place the new pump at the same depth or try to go lower? Would depth affect the iron content in the water? Originally the well was for the house and outside but the previous owner had city water connected to the house due to the tremendous amount of iron in the well water.

Reach4

Reaction score
My deep well pump died after 24 years of use. The plaque on the well head said the well was 200 feet deep, but when I pulled it up yesterday the pump was only 100 feet deep. Why drill a 200 foot well and only sink the pump halfway? Should I place the new pump at the same depth or try to go lower?
When they drilled through the waterproof strata, the water rose.

Another advantage is that any sediment from below will probably not get sucked into the pump.

If you have never run out of water, the same depth is probably good.

Would depth affect the iron content in the water?
The depth that you set up the pump is not going to affect the iron unless there is some ferric iron that settles that you don't suck up with the pump higher. Expect the ferric (dissolved) iron to be the same.

Retired IT guy

Reaction score
Thanks so much! The static level was 20 feet in 1994, it looks like it is about 10 feet now. I have been looking at pumps that were rated for over 200 feet, so I guess now I can expand my search.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. I would select a 1/2 HP 10 GPM pump. This is a table to describe what such a pump would do.
IMG_7.png

Retired IT guy

Reaction score
Again, thank you. The old pump is a Jacuzzi but only lists the model number, which I can't find the specs for online. I don't know the average life, but 24 years seems pretty good. I ordered a 1 HP 33 GPM pump just in case I decide to put a water softener on the well and convert it back to household use. We are outside of the town limits and they charge us three times what they charge the next neighborhood over, which is inside the town limits.

Reach4

Reaction score
Post the model number. Some people have 25 year old catalogs or lists available.

Reach4

Reaction score
That pump, with probably some change, is still offered as the Franklin J class, where J stands for Jacuzzi. At least the model number is still available.
IMG_4.png

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I agree with Reach that a 10 GPM, 1/2HP would be a better fit. If the water level gets close to or deeper than 50', the 1/2HP will actually pump more water at 40-50 PSI (10-15 GPM) than the 33 GPM, 1HP. But if the water level stays above 50' when pumping, that 1HP will do about the same as the 10 GPM, 1/2HP, and for 135 bucks I think I would try it too. :)

A 33 GPM, 1HP won't pump from very deep and won't build much pressure. But when it will fit the application, (shallow well/low pressure) it will work. And it is apparently a bargain model from the pump company for some reason.

Retired IT guy

Reaction score
And it is apparently a bargain model from the pump company for some reason.
I know you get what you pay for, but I also know you don't need a $2000 laptop to check your emails (Sorry, I don't think in plumbing terms). This will be very lightly used, and if I do convert the house back to the well, our usage is only around 2200 gallons a month.Thanks for your input, though, I still love to learn as much about any project that I can I so appreciate this site and all of the professionals who are willing to share their knowledge.

Retired IT guy

Reaction score
I received the pump yesterday and installed it today. It looks like I am getting around 25GPM at 100 feet. Thanks again for the advice!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks