Solution for caulking between tile and tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Mntentman

Reaction score
I just retiled a tub surround sound with fairly dark tiles and grout. The tub is white. The caulk that matches the grout is a color called "chocolate truffle." It looks good everywhere except where it goes along the tub. I have done plenty of caulking and know how to do it pretty well, but the stark contrast between the dark cault and white tub shows very clearly where it is uneven. I want this to look as good as possible, and am thinking it might be better to remove the dark cault alon the tub and go with a clear caulk. Am I missing a trick to make this caulk perfectly even... am I expecting "perfection" where it is unlikely... or am I best off going with the clear? Thanks for the help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
caulk

You make it "perfectly even" by applying masking tape along both sides of the bead, then removing the tape after striking the cove to give a straight line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Clear tends to look shiney, so if you don't want to color match the grout, use white to match the tub.

Mntentman

Reaction score
I used the masking tape trick. Looks great now. Thanks. Not sure how I got this old without learning that, but I did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks